802.11n help :(

So I'm not a member of any IT forums or anything, so I figured I'd just see if anyone here could help me out.

I have a Linksys WRT110 router that is supposed to do 802.11n draft (130Mbps), but all I can get out of it is 54Mbps.

When I set the router to Wireless-N only mode, I can't connect to the wireless network anymore. If I leave the Wireless (B,G,N) on mixed and set the encryption to WPA2 Personal, I can't connect to the network anymore. If I leave the encryption on WPA Personal, Wireless on mixed but change the N Transmission rate to 130Mbps, I can't connect to the network anymore.

The Linksys is second in a chain to the FiOS provided Actiontec P.O.S. (which is Wireless N capable), and I can even connect to that at a higher than 54Mbps speed (at almost the other end of the house I only generally get like 65Mbps or 72Mbps). So my adapter shouldn't be the problem. Oh and the Linksys is at the opposite end of the house in relation to the Actiontec, which is within 15 feet or so of my adapter.

My adapter within Windows 7 only says "802.11n Wireless LAN Card" and the driver says it's made by Ralink Technology, but I have the box for the adapter in my lap and it's a Rosewill RNX-N150PC, with a larger antenna I attached to it.

Any ideas?

Haha, so I actually just solved this for myself.

Within the Wireless Network properties, it wouldn't automatically switch the encryption type on my end to WPA2, so I had to switch that manually and now it works fine.

Hopefully if someone else has the same problem I did, they can just find this and not have to go through all the aggravation I did overlooking the correct setting.

That's true, but for future proofing, it might be a good idea. Everyone I've seen is backward compatible with N. I have a dual band N right now, and with no one on I'm seeing speeds of around 8.5 megs per second. 54Mbit is G, not N too btw. :) N is 300Mbit

Also note that most N routers drop to G speeds if any G-Only devices are associated with the AP. WPA2/AES is a must just for security but you'll need it for MIMO.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Yea its 150Mbps cause the router is only a N Draft router, and I got it for free from a friend so I'm not complaining in that aspect. Plus G could support my ISP's connection speeds of 25Mbps up and down, I just wanted something faster for LAN transfers.

Regardless of everything though, my card maxes out at 72Mbps for some reason, even though I have perfect signal strength and the card is supposed to be good up to 150Mbps.

Also most "signal bars" RSSI doesn't exactly account for signal interference.

Get inSSIDer (google it) on your laptop and scan the 2.4GHz band. Find the least "congested" channel and then manually set your router to use that channel.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Archived