Second Skin Audio

Box ideas for 2 12s, Have sub specs

pmena

I have 2 12" subs laying around that haven't been used in a while and I wanted to build a quick box for them. I usually find box ideas on this website or other forums for whatever subs I have but these are a no-name sub so I have no idea what kind of box to build for them. They have always been in a simple ported box, 3.5 cu ft tuned to 35hz, but this box doesn't fit in my 02 Grand Prix. At first I was going to just build a box to that size/tune but make give it a smaller height so it will fit but I decided to maybe try something new depending on what kind of ideas I get from you guys. I will post the specs to the sub below, but I want to figure out if maybe it will sound

in a different size box, tuned different, or even in a 4th/6th order bandpass. I know bandpass boxes are hard to build but I did one for my SA-8V2 and I love it. I know the box has to be built right and made for the sub so if anybody knows if with these specs if it would sound good that would be awesome. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I was also thinking about porting through my rear deck or my ski hole in my rear seat. I've tried some calculators but get some crazy numbers like 104 cu ft for ported.

12" sub specs:

500-watt rms

Resonance Frequency (fs): 30HZ

Sensitivity (SPLo): 90 DB @ 1Watt

Effective Piston Area (SD): 77.923

Effective Frequency Range: 25-1000

Effective Excursion (EXMax): .505 in

DC Resistance (RE): 7 Ohms in series

Voice Coil Inductance (LE): 5.7 Mh

Voice Coil Diameter (d): 2.5"

Voice Coil Length (h): 1.118"

Mechanical Q Factor (Qms): 8.593

Electrical Q Factor (Qes): .588

Total Q Factor (Qts): .550

Force Factor (BL): 16.506 TM

Equivalent Volume (VAS): 72.933 cu ft

Moving Mass (Mms): 3.763 oz

Net Displacement: 135 cu in

Magnet Weight: 66.9 oz

how does a 3.5 cube box not fit inside your grand prix? i was able to fit a 3 cube box into the trunk of my corolla with tons of room to spare.

how does a 3.5 cube box not fit inside your grand prix? i was able to fit a 3 cube box into the trunk of my corolla with tons of room to spare.

Like I said I can make a box the same size and tune it to the same frequency that will fit but that actual box will not fit, too tall.

Like I said I can make a box the same size and tune it to the same frequency that will fit but that actual box will not fit, too tall.

you cant make it deeper or wider?

this confuses me, sorry.

you cant make it deeper or wider?

this confuses me, sorry.

"At first I was going to just build a box to that size/tune but make give it a smaller height so it will fit but I decided to maybe try something new depending on what kind of ideas I get from you guys."

I stated that I could make a box that is the same volume and tune it to what I already have but I was hoping to get other ideas for boxes, hopefully bandpass ideas from people who have experience in them. If someone knows that these specific subs won't sound right in a band pass box then I will just build a ported box. Or if someone thinks they should be in a bigger box than 1.75 cu ft per sub or a different tune then I will try that. The whole point of my thread to get other ideas

EBP numbers are what you want to look at here. EBP(Efficiency Bandwidth Product) equation is Fs÷QES=50 or less is good for sealed or 4th order. 50-90= good for ported or sealed. 90+ good for ported. You are at 51.02 so you're cool for a bandpass.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

EBP numbers are what you want to look at here. EBP(Efficiency Bandwidth Product) equation is Fs÷QES=50 or less is good for sealed or 4th order. 50-90= good for ported or sealed. 90+ good for ported. You are at 51.02 so you're cool for a bandpass.

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for.

I'm not looking for a complete box design (even though that would be awesome lol) but do you have any other info that could help me? An idea of what size box or what tuning frequency? I know Bandpass are complex and appreciate any help. 4th order or 6th order?

Archived