Confused about Active & Passive

Are you supposed to only set up filter's on either your HU or your amplifiers? And would setting them up on both be a bad thing?

Using the HU, i envision setting up the filters and for example on the sub amp turn the LPF as high as possibly, effectively not doing any filtering on the amp itself?

And other way around for using the Amps for filter. Don't filter on the HU, but filter on the amps?

noob, i know.

Subs should be crossed (no matter active or passive) no higher than 70 htz ... anything lower will involve testing and tuning, but for the most part, 70 htz is a general guideline ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Subs should be crossed (no matter active or passive) no higher than 70 htz ... anything lower will involve testing and tuning, but for the most part, 70 htz is a general guideline ...

Ok that makes sense. I'm still just confused on where I'm supposed to set the filters (crossovers, whichever you like to call them), on the HU or on the amps? or both?

if you set crossovers on the headunit, then you don't have to worry about setting the amps crossovers.

but if the headunit doesn't do subsonic for example, then you would have to adjust that on the amp itself.

Most headunits out today have sub outputs with built in active crossovers ... Almost all mono block amplifiers have built in active crossovers ... Once you start googling equipment and learning their functions and limitations, It should start making alot more sence. Most people learn by hands on trial and error anyways ... Lord knows I have !!!

Now adays the use off passive crossovers for subs is basically gone ... most younger people have never seen a passive sub woofer frequency crossover ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

set the amp cross overs to max or if it has a option to bypass/off do it and adjust it all through the deck. that way if you want to make little tweaks on the fly you can

Archived