Second Skin Audio

3 MA-8's "ABC" design opinions

Slobalt7

This is what I have so far. I am about to draw it up in Sketch up but was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make it better. The measurements in parentheses are the true measurements of the enclosure aside from the center wall which would be removing .75" from the center of the chamber 2 width. Also if it matters this will be made of .75" Birch and they will be on an AB VFL100.1 (1500wrms @ 1 ohm) at 1.33 ohms before rise.

Triple Skar dual chamber bass reflex (ABC)

Net volume: 4 cf

Port(x3) dimensions and displacement: 4"x12.834" & .1 cf

Sub displacement: .1cf

Gross volume: 4.9 cf

Chamber 1 gross volume and dimensions : 3.036 & 20W x 15.25H x 22D (20.75w 15.25h 23d 3.293)

Chamber 2 gross volume and dimensions : 1.564 & 11.75W (10.5w 1.539)

Gross box dimensions : 30.5W x 16H x 23D

*Notes will have double baffle, measurements account for single baffle(+.75"H)

*Orientation will be ports up side by side, subs up in triangle pattern in chamber 1

zr2usasig.jpg

Yeah, it's slower than your bowel movements.

I'm by no means an expert on this type of enclosure, so I can't really say much... But at a glance: that port area looks looooowwww

I think so too at 12.56 sq in per port tube but any bigger and I can't fit the tubes for the tuning I want. I can't make it any taller and they are about 2-2.5" from the bottom of the box. I figured since they are recomended for .75cf each but I gave them a bit more they could use the smaller ports to an advantage when it comes to cone control at the sacrifice of chuffing. If there is anyone who could help me solve this issue I am all ears. Unfortunately those are about the max dimensions I am willing to go w&d wise too.

zr2usasig.jpg

Maybe a more conventional ported box is in order? I'd rather do a proper ported box than a more complicated box that I can't fit properly.

As for port length: why can't you bend it?

I have been thinking about it and I am actually going to model removable ports, run my 4" for daily and make some 5" for competition use and model square ports. I can bend square ports easily. I don't like bending pipes, IMO it isn't perfectly linear.

zr2usasig.jpg

Archived