Bboytaktix's 2011 Subaru STI Modest SQ build

I will try something else;

Right now sub level on the head unit is at 0 or +1 (-24 to +6 is the range). I am going to try putting it to +6 to set my gains, since I read on here in a few threads to always put sub output level at max on head unit (not bass boost of course). Hopefully that solves the issue, I can put loudness off or at the least put it to 'low' setting to avoid potential clipping (until I eventually tune with a DD-1)

will see how this works.

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

I think you're right, we're close to on the same page.

Budget is always an issue for most of us. it's the way it is man. Start basic, build from there a piece at a time.

I didn't research SQ, i came from SQ to here. I dig the SQ sound, but I like bass too and in SQ there just isn't enough to keep me satisfied. SO I'm doing more of an SPL type build, but an SQ sound along with it.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

I think you're right, we're close to on the same page.

Budget is always an issue for most of us. it's the way it is man. Start basic, build from there a piece at a time.

I didn't research SQ, i came from SQ to here. I dig the SQ sound, but I like bass too and in SQ there just isn't enough to keep me satisfied. SO I'm doing more of an SPL type build, but an SQ sound along with it.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

thanks man, and you're right, there isn't quite enough bass in a true SQ system for my liking, I like a nice punch to my music but not overloaded as to lose out on some of the other sounds/quality/clarity of the music.

As for what I found, I turned off loudness, put my head unit subwoofer output signal to +6 (max) and on the amp I put the gain sensitivity switch to the 0.2-0.6V position with Gain around 3/4. The bass is much better, more on par with my highs, I listened to a few rap songs on the way home, sub hits hard, and kind of more clear than with loudness. I then listened to some trance/house and it sounded good. I found the highs to get high in volume a BIT too early (like at 15/16 out of 40 on my head unit volume they were quite loud) so I backed off my 4-ch gains a bit when I got home, front speakers are now about 1/3 gain and rears just a tad less, I will see how that sounds during my drive up north.

Happy I got everything properly tuned. Wish I had a DD-1 to do final adjustments/tuning (I feel like I could get a tad more out of my amp/sub) but all in good time. I don't crank it past half head unit volume often anyway so I am happy with that.

I also assume it will perform just a bit better overall once I do the big 3 and also get a better battery to replace my OEM one.

Should finish the amp cover tomorrow and post pics before the end of the weekend :D so happy to be bumping again!!

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

build is DONE!! (besides battery + big 3). Unfortunately I have reached my Photobucket bandwith limit so I will have to wait 5 more days to post (or use imageshack). Pics coming SOON!!

Glad you got it figured out man. Enjoy!

thanks man! pics coming soon!!!

On another note, arrived in Baltimore this afternoon and we went directly to the office, my package from Sky High car Audio was waiting for me when I got there :D looks like solid stuff! can't wait to put it to good use and do my big 3 upgrade :D

ALRIGHT. opened an imageshack account too since I couldnt wait to post my pics ;P

here they are!!!

First off, had to do the sidewall portion of the amp rack cover. This took quite a few cuts.

8qtm.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

uqj8.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

wjnj.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

then planned out fitting the middle piece as well to make sure everything lined up more or less how I wanted;

rn1u.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

obxc.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

djte.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

once I was happy with initial fitment, i got to finalizing the side amp cover piece. Cut a hole for the sub wires to line up with sub box terminal. Cut out the hole for the Clarion logo on the amp as well. Then wrapped it and plexiglass over the logo cutout;

ygz2.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

8hfb.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

it fit even better when wrapped, since the carpet filled any small gaps I had before. I was quite pleased so far;

5q37.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

tr47.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

pmsk.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

Then added the middle 45 degree piece again to make sure fitment was still good;

b48d.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

xa7h.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

m8hn.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

Used PL premium on both ends of the 45 degree piece to join the bottom and side amp cover pieces. Of course i used some tapered wood screws to secure the pieces in place as the PL premium dried. Then took it out of the car and wrapped that last 45 degree piece with carpet. NO VISIBLE SCREWS :D You'll also notice that I made it as one big cover piece, much easier to take out of the car to quickly access amps;

t8ap.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

xc02.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

8s26.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

4xpq.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

While that was drying for a bit, I mounted the fans. I decided to make another slightly cleaner piece for the outer side of the fans. This worked to my advantage, as the fans were sandwiched in between the two pieces, the whole thing was more solid, and the second outer piece made a nicer finishing piece;

qrgz.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

81u8.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

zici.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

s14j.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

kpj6.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

When I put the amp rack back on and slid the sub box into position, I was really quite happy with the final product of my work! YES, I know it isn't perfect, but not only is it functional, and takes up less than half my trunk, but I feel like it is better than the average trunk audio setup!!!

l297.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

fne2.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

nj94.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

2wvo.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

dfvw.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

y835.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

zyup.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.com

As many of you may guess, it does look better in person, and of course it sounds great! All I have left is upgrading battery under the hood and some soundproofing :D I hope you guys enjoyed my build!

SO CLOSE to finished! Left to do on this build;

-Kinetik KHC1400 or XS D1200 under the hood to replace OEM battery

-SMD DD-1 (I ALMOST bought one this week since it's like $60 cheaper to ship to me in Baltiimore while I am here on work - didn't fit into my budget though)

Already purchased and received, need to install;

-Big three wiring/terminals/fuse

Archived