Help with garage set up

Hey guys it's been a while since I have posted on SMD. Recently I got a subwoofer from my uncle. It is a powered subwoofer that I am either planning on putting in my room or doing a set up in my garage. The woofer has a plate amp built into the back of the box. My question is will this be able to power my speakers as well or will I need a separate amp for those? (Reason I am asking is that I can get a hold of an amp as well when I pick up the speaker) As far as running a radio off of it am I going to need to buy a reciever with a radio or how would I go about hooking up the radio to the system. Sorry for dumb questions I am a total noob when it comes to the home systems.

EDIT: Basically what all am I going to need to get this set up going besides the woofer and speakers.

2003 Chevy Blazerkenwood headunit4 ga. kicker wiringAQ1200D amp2 12" DC LVL 3'sStinger Volt MeterMy Build LogBlazer is no longer. Totaled 02/14/2012drew.png

no. this is for converting dc to ac. useful if you want to run a blender inside your car.

You'll need a separate amp for the speakers.

Edit: Basically here is what I am looking at.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=252-228 receiver

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-058 speakers

Then the subwoofer that I do not have any pictures of.

Is this looking correct? The receiver has 2 channels and a sub pre out that I should be able to hook the sub to correct?

2003 Chevy Blazerkenwood headunit4 ga. kicker wiringAQ1200D amp2 12" DC LVL 3'sStinger Volt MeterMy Build LogBlazer is no longer. Totaled 02/14/2012drew.png

no. this is for converting dc to ac. useful if you want to run a blender inside your car.

The sub pre-out is to be hooked up to an amp if I'm not mistaken.

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:2223]

CAFForumSig_zps376518ed.jpg?t=1364077982

SD, thank for the input. I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Those are a good set of speakers for a garage set up or even a deck or patio system. I helped a friend install them next to his hot tub. :D Lol they sound really good and hold up even in the weather here in NJ. As for the receiver the sub pre out by passes the internal amplifier of the Receiver and that is meant for a sub that is hooked up to an amp of its own. So if you have a plate amp for your sub then that'll be a perfect set-up!

Awesome guys. I will get a picture of the sub when I get it but it will probably be a few more days. I just needed a little clarification, but once I started logically thinking about it then it all started to make sense. Thank you guys.

Okay guys I got the sub, and got a chance to look at it. I have a few questions. After looking at the receiver I see the outputs that you would run to the input of the sub, but I was reading an FAQ about powered subs and I saw that you have to put input to the low or high level input to get low or high level output. When I look on the sub I only see output for the low level. So basically what I am wondering is if I connect the output from the receiver to the low level input of the sub through and red and white RCA; Can I hook up speaker wire to the jacks on the sub and still get sound? Here is a picture of the back of the subwoofer.

yMOC0iB.jpg

Looks like you will just need to run either the sub out or aux out on the sherwood to the low level input on the sub. Then just run the speakers off the sherwood itself.

Archived