Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

S-10 back wall. To cut or not to cut?


primer

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've pretty much finished my other truck for now. But I have a 94 S-10 as a run around truck and it's screaming for attention. I got the truck for free. It needs a little work, but I'm a mechanic, so thats not an issue. Back in the day, we were cutting back walls out left and right. 4 12's, 6 10's, 2 15's, ect.. But whats the current opinion on this? Keep in mind, I have another truck I use for pulling, loading the bed down, long hauls. This is just a run around truck for gas mileage. My primary truck has an 8.1 liter gas engine, so you could imagine the fuel consumption. The S-10 is for running around town, trips to the store, driving back and forth to work twice a month. It has 2 kicker comp 10's in it now, but I started thinking about some of the old school stuff we did. The thought crossed my mind to cut the back wall, buy 4 more 10's and build a box. Or drop the 10's in the wifes car and buy 4 12's. If I do it, I'll need opinions on ported vs sealed. I've never built a ported box. Done a ton of sealed, but no ported. When we did the builds back in the day we built sealed boxes with ports opening into the cab. I also thought about starting the search some old school amps to go with the build. A good friend has 1 old school mean machine sitting in his closet that I was thinking about guilting him out of. But I would want 2. This build would take a while as it would be more costly. People tend to put high prices on their old school stuff. I have an old Autotek model 7050BTS thrust I could throw into the mix if needed, but I need to find a trustworthy amp repair shop first. Anyway, back on point. Naturally, I want the best results. So, whats the current opinion? I want it to hit, HARD. But I want it to sound good too. Ported or sealed? Or bandpass? I'm not asking for people to tell me everything I need to do. I'll do the research. I'll build the box. I just need opinions on which way to go. Peoples personal experience.

2002 GMC 2500HD w/8.1 liter v-8

Pioneer Avic N-5 HU

Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth

Pioneer CD-UB100 usb

Pioneer GEX-P910XM XM receiver

Pioneer CD-1200 IPhone adapter

Pioneer TS-W309D2 subs x2

Audiopipe split 3003

2 Autotek 3-way active crossovers

2 alpine tweeters

RF Punch P132 3.5" full range

RF Power T1462 4x6 full range

RF Power T1693 6x9 3 way

RF Power T2652 T2 6.5 components

2 Autotek ATX 1200.4 amps 4

RF P400 amp

Massive N4 nano-block

I measure loud by the amount of smoke it puts out.

www.enforcer-gaming.com

Posted

Well if you had ports going into the cab of the truck but had a sealed box in the back that is more or less a 4th order if im not mistaken. And ported is what I like and what most will tell you to go with. However sealed can be an option for sound quality if thats what you're after. As for doing a blow through or not, thats completely up to you. I for one would love to do a blow through but they are very time consuming and have to be done right or they will sound/look like shit and no one wants that. I would say if you can do it correctly then do a blow through and make shit move. Lol cause blow throughs are awesome. ^_^ but is it extended or single cab?

Posted

I wouldn't do a blow through for anything less than like 4 15s in a 4th order

Cutting up the truck for anything less isn't worth it IMO

But its your ride and u can do whatever you want with it lol

Team Flex Issues

Posted

Single cab. Guess I'm a little outdated on my terms. When I said ported, I meant the box was sealed with the front of the speakers blowing through into the cab. I can make it look good. If I do it, I'll take my time and do it right. We did a bunch back in the day, but we never did any ported. So, I'm not able to compare the 2 against each other. I've heard ported. But never had an instance to compare the 2 in similar situations. And the stuff we did was WAY back. This was when hardly anyone had tv's in their vehicles. There were no flip out screens. What I do remember is having to re-seal the front windshields several times. I think I'm going to stick with what I know for now. I'll build both boxes and compare the 2 later on. But I'll start with sealed. Of course it's going to take a while to get everything rounded up for the build. I have an idea for a box for 8 12's. But I have to put in the numbers to see if it will work.

2002 GMC 2500HD w/8.1 liter v-8

Pioneer Avic N-5 HU

Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth

Pioneer CD-UB100 usb

Pioneer GEX-P910XM XM receiver

Pioneer CD-1200 IPhone adapter

Pioneer TS-W309D2 subs x2

Audiopipe split 3003

2 Autotek 3-way active crossovers

2 alpine tweeters

RF Punch P132 3.5" full range

RF Power T1462 4x6 full range

RF Power T1693 6x9 3 way

RF Power T2652 T2 6.5 components

2 Autotek ATX 1200.4 amps 4

RF P400 amp

Massive N4 nano-block

I measure loud by the amount of smoke it puts out.

www.enforcer-gaming.com

Posted

Like previously said, its your truck do with it as you may. I personally love a good blow through. Lol but thats just me.

Truthfully, I want to do a ported box. Just because I've never done one. I'm curious as to how it would sound compared to a sealed box. But, I'll have the old faithful sealed box ready as backup.

2002 GMC 2500HD w/8.1 liter v-8

Pioneer Avic N-5 HU

Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth

Pioneer CD-UB100 usb

Pioneer GEX-P910XM XM receiver

Pioneer CD-1200 IPhone adapter

Pioneer TS-W309D2 subs x2

Audiopipe split 3003

2 Autotek 3-way active crossovers

2 alpine tweeters

RF Punch P132 3.5" full range

RF Power T1462 4x6 full range

RF Power T1693 6x9 3 way

RF Power T2652 T2 6.5 components

2 Autotek ATX 1200.4 amps 4

RF P400 amp

Massive N4 nano-block

I measure loud by the amount of smoke it puts out.

www.enforcer-gaming.com

Posted

Ported boxes are really simple. You can download the Torres Box Calculator that is posted up on the forums here and it'll help you work out port sizes and tuning and everything. Once you get the measurements about right the hard part is done depending on how intricate your box is of course. Lol

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 637 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...