Sundown Audio

Shipped wrong amp will it still be good?

Moley

I read up on these things a while back and from what I remember reading, there isn't much, if any difference between them and the BRZ line. So other than the warranty problems, you didn't get less than you ordered, although I wouldn't pay the extra money just to have an "elite" badge glued to an amp.

It kinda reminded me of the Pioneer Elite line when I first read about it.... I used to sell Pioneer Elite in my home theater store and for the most part, there was no difference between most of the Elite line and the regular line... except that Pioneer did build a few things in the Elite line that they didn't build in the regular line. Doesn't even look to me like Maxxsonics even bothered to offer just one unique product in their Elite line though.

That's kind of chicken shit if you ask me... and I'm a fan of Hifonics amps. I run an Hfi-1500 in my truck and an Hfi-1000 in my daughter in law's car and for the cost, they build a rock solid product, save the ZRX series.

EDIT: Well, since you haven't hooked the amp up, that can be shown and given the circumstances, I'm sure that either them or Online Car Stereo will make it roght for you. If they balk about it, just let them know you're posting up their response here. :-)

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

One of my friends has the BRE Elite 2013.. He had them before they were released on maxxonics website he also had the BRZ at the same time.. The BRE is more heavy duty and has more feature that the BRZ didn't. The BRE is like the BRZ & BRX just the BRE gets new shit.. the BRZ & BRX just get a new shell with the BRE's old guts in it

If they are the same guts then the vertical heat sinks on the BRZ and BRX are usless and just for show then. Also what do you mean by new shit? LIke better components or something? Maybe the BE will last longer than the BRZ cause it quit on my after 2 years. I get now that the power ratings are the same and that I'm not ripped off that way but what gets me is can I live with the look of it? I just love the look of the BRZ. Friends would see it and be like WTF is that monster? The BE just looks so plain and boring.

Thanks for the clarification, Mareno.

Moley, the heat sinks aren't useless, the inside of them is molded at an angle so that the FETs can be clamped to them. ← Note, that's my presumption. I may crack my Hfi open and see this weekend, because it has the same chassis that the BRZ has.

Also, if your amp quit after two years, I would suspect user error. Not trying to insult you or anything but I've beat the shit out of these amps and haven't had a bit of trouble, and the 1000 is about 4 years old. Not to mention, it's now in my daughter in law's car and she knows fuck all about distortion so if it started getting a bad signal, she would just keep on banging on it.

Maybe you didn't have the gains set properly or, maybe the amp was in an area that it couldn't cool properly. You could have had a low voltage condition at one point that caused slow but irreparable damage. It could have been a number of things and of course, it could have just been a random failure too but that's incredibly uncommon in electronics that have been functioning for any appreciable length of time.

I brought it in to a local tech shop and they said that some soldering was melted or something like that and couldn't be fixed. The settings have always been the same for 2 years and I have a strong electrical but ya no offence and whatever the case I just need to get my bass back! About the heat sinks. I did open the BRZ and ya the FETS are all along the side but if they do work then why the hell does the BE have small horizontal heat sinks and the BRZ and BRX have bigger vertical heat sinks. If they are the same gut more or less than this tells me the heat dissipation on the Elite series is not as good. Makes a guy wonder.

I understand the not having beats problem.... it does suck.

I just looked on the interwebz to be sure but what I'm seeing between the elite and the standard series are the same style vertical heat sinks. The Hfi (which they don't offer any more, to my knowledge) and the Mt. Olympus amps have horizontal sinks.

But in any case, they chose what they did for a compromise between cooling and cosmetics, hopefully with a bias toward the former. Regardless, I know that for the money spent, I've had outstanding performance from their amps and if they don't do anywhere near rated like a lot of the haters say, they'll have to prove it to me. And again... the Zeus series notwithstanding.

Matter of fact, I think the fucking Z series style pawn shop specials is what got them their bad name of late, because when I entered the car audio scene some 2.5 decades ago, Hifonics was the tits. And not no damn fake ones, either. :-)

I just want to point out that the BRZ series was discontinued a bit back. I was running 2 BRZ2100's strapped on my Zcons and had one of them go out due to manufacturing defect (2nd time it happened, while the other one worked perfectly the entire time). I ended up contacting them a few months ago about it and they said that they could swap my warrantied BRZ out with a BRX2000 since the BRZ was discontinued which I was then unable to strap to my working BRZ2100.

All in all, I'm guessing they did some upgrades with the new amps. Installed the BRX for a few weeks and it didn't seem to get as hot as the BRZ did. Also has some cool LED illumination lol

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Sorry to hear. :( Honestly with the BRX I don't like the led lights on the terminals and sides, only the logo and it's too wide for where I want to mount it. That's why I want to stick with the BRZ. I new it was discontinued and no site had it except onlinecarstereo. They said it was a clearance price so I figured they had a few left and were getting rid of old stock. I thought I hit the jackpot but apparently not. Like I said before maybe if I do stick with the Elite amp it will last longer. I mean my BRZ crapped out and you said yours did twice. Maybe that's a sign for me to try something else. No warranty though cause I got it online. I'll see what they say tomorrow if they actually answer my call and go from there.

After hearing all of this, it does sound like they had some manufacturing or engineering problems that were corrected.

Archived