Sonic Electronix

What do people mean by 4th order box ?

Hello guys

This will be my first topic i ever start on this forum yet im planning to take it seriously.

I have 8yrs doing car audio systems

Yet i have heard people talk about the 4th order box or maybe the 5, 6 order i guess

(I guessed numbers for 5 & 6)

Yet ma question is on 4th order.

How are they build ?

What are they made of ?

Or what are their difference from a custom box ?

I dont know (/.\) maybe u'll find this question very stupid..

U can blame for that

I honeslty dont have any knowledge with that 4th order :/

Thx and i hope i can get some help :3

A 4th order is a specific type of bandpass enclosures, and deals with a subwoofer in a sealed box firing into a ported section to help widen the frequency response. Imagine it's both a sealed and a ported box.

You should spec the sealed side to manufacturer's spec or F3 I prefer, then tune the ported side to your personal taste. No, you would not want to tune the ported aspect to 32Hz as you would be defeating the purpose of a 4th order. In a 4th order, the sealed section helps provide the flat low end response and the ported increases range by playing the higher registers missed. What you tune to will depend on subs and vehicle. Some make a big deal with ratio, the amount of volume ported: sealed but I don't, or wouldn't.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Well...it's a sealed AND ported enclosure in one...so yeah, it can get spacey. Especially if there are multiple subs.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

They tend to be pretty big, especially with a lot of subs. A 4th order with a ratio of 2 ported: 1 sealed means for example 2 15s would be a total of about 4cbft sealed, 8cbft ported after all port, sub, bracing displacements

2006 Ford Explorer

2 Team AA/Sundown 15s

6th order

Ct Sounds 7k

4 PRV Mr500 8s

Rockford p1000-2

Team Subsonic Lows

Archived