Sonic Electronix

What do people mean by 4th order box ?

4th order refers to the rollofff slope. There well be a steeper rolloff in a 4th order enclosure. A sealed enclosure will have a typical slope of around a 12 dB/octave rolloff which is relatively flatter in nature. A vented or 4th order will have a rolloff far steeper at around 24 dB/octave.

Simply put, this means that the enclosure will start to fall flat on output above and below tuning.

To determine if the sub is suitable for a 4th order alignment, is suggested rather than just building a box and praying it will work.

As others have said, a 4th order is a sealed section and a ported section. You get your low response from your sealed section and many people go to the manufacturer's sealed specs. More important than that, you want to make sure you're using proper sealed for tbe Fb you want and desire. The bandwidth is extended by having the ported section tuned at a certain frequency. So your useable frequency in a vehicle will rolloff pretty quick below your low end F3( from sealed section) as well as above your port tuning.

Vehicle acoustics will determine where it starts to fall flat as well as the enclosure's tune.

EBP will help you determine which enclosure is most appropriate for certain enclosure.

Efficiency Bandwidth Product

EBP is determined by Fs divided by Qes

EBP from 0-50 is best suited for a sealed enclosure(also 4th orders)

EBP 50-100 can go in either sealed or vented

EBP over 100 is best suited for a vented enclosure.

Hope some of this helps :)

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

not gnna lie these boxes are pretty easy to build I guess that's why I have moved to building 6th and 8th order boxes

Do you have any pics of the boxes you've done that may help the OP, or specific knowledge that he can use?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I can give some help sorry I didn't post but wish I could help post pics but I don't own a phn or camera. What type of sub u wanting to build a 4th for some subs wont work properly in a bandpass but cleansierra pretty much said what I would say its pretty simple it might take you a few tries building diff boxes to get it right but I will warn you about bandpass boxes be carful when turning up the deck to high volumes cus most the time you cant hear distortion in bandpass boxes AND you don't want that so that's why I recommend buying a DD1 but that is my opinion but bandpass is good SPL boxes if built right but I will tell you that their is no correct specs for these boxes its all trial and error

[media][/media]

They're fun and all, but 9 times out of 10, I'll go for a regular ported enclosure. Especially for me since I prefer walls

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived