Sonic Electronix

Hi guys. New here and from the UK so bare with me! (Are there many people from the UK on here??)

I have a basic sound system in my Hyundai Tiburon.

Headunit: Pioneer DEH-X8500BT

Sub amp: Pioneer GM-D9601
Component amp: Maystar QXT275
Sub: Alpine Type R 12" D4
Components: Infinity 6530cs components
The components are in the stock locations, held by self tapping screws lol, and tweeters are hot glue gunned into place haha!
The sub is in a custom ported box, specced for an Ascendant Audio Havoc (which I'd like to purchase when funds allow) made for me by Amar@ TeamSPB (based in West London)
I do have plans to upgrade.. As I'd like matching amps possibly from the SPL Dynamics range.. and if funds allow a set of Gladen Audio components.
I have set my gains by ear with all sound enhancing settings turned to FLAT, 0 or OFF (except HPF and LPF on HU both set at 80hz) and I don't know, I'm not 100% sure I'm making the most of my system; mostly down to set up!
My question and point of this thread is, how do you guys with simple set ups like me set up your EQ? I have access to a iPhone RTA app... if thats any help haah!
On your HU what do you do with the following?
  • Sound Retriever? Off, 1 or 2?
  • Loudness? Off, low, mid, or high?
  • Bass Boost? (Off I know, but open to ideas?)
  • I only have a 5 band EQ on my HU..

Where should I start?

Any advice would be great guys!

Thanks

Naj

A lot of tuning can come down to getting the gains set right so you have a balance between your subs and your front stage. You're brave mentioning setting gains by ear but you aren't alone there. It can work if you know what you are doing. It isn't necessary in every system to use the max undistorted output of the amplifiers to create a good sounding system.

It comes down to what you want to accomplish. There is a couple tuning treatise on here that can give you a better idea on how to go step by step. I will post a link. You can use the app to find where the peaks are in your system. Since you have only 5 bands it does limit the amount of adjustments you will be able to make. Speaker position can change things too as well as phase.

Loudness off, Bass Boost off.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170003-16-band-eq-80prs-setup-songs-or-tones-sq-guys/

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

First.... if you have an RTA app that works worth a damn, would you mind sharing what it is?

Second... it's really a matter of installation, components, vehicle and personal preference where you set your eq. If we pulled your gear and put it all in my truck the settings would likely end up being different, even if you were the one listening to it. Not much different perhaps, but different none the less.

The real goal of processors, RTA's and equalizers is to get all frequencies as flat as possible but even when you have a flat response, some people don't like that sound and want to boost or cut certain frequencies to suit their own taste. So in the end, no matter how many answers you get to that question, you aren't likely to get the answer that works best for you.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smaarttools-single-channel/id586918472?mt=8

i use this rta,

I use it with the iTest mic, but it also has a 30pin interface that can be used with any other reference mic

its a solid as app! havent tried it with the iphone mic though

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Hey thanks! I'll check into it and see if they have an Android version.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

A lot of tuning can come down to getting the gains set right so you have a balance between your subs and your front stage. You're brave mentioning setting gains by ear but you aren't alone there. It can work if you know what you are doing. It isn't necessary in every system to use the max undistorted output of the amplifiers to create a good sounding system.

It comes down to what you want to accomplish. There is a couple tuning treatise on here that can give you a better idea on how to go step by step. I will post a link. You can use the app to find where the peaks are in your system. Since you have only 5 bands it does limit the amount of adjustments you will be able to make. Speaker position can change things too as well as phase.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170003-16-band-eq-80prs-setup-songs-or-tones-sq-guys/

I don't have access to an oscilloscope which is the problem. I do, however have a multimeter? But I haven't done any research as to how to use it to set my gains. The other thing is, my sub amp is rated to do 1000wrms@2ohm at 14.4v, and my sub shows 1.8ohms on the multimeter and is rated at 500wrms, so although my amp has a little mark next to the gain setting required for Hi Volt Pioneer units (4v pre outs) I am running the gain a lot lower to compensate for the sub. Not sure if that's an issue or not..

I just want a loud and clean sound system with *hopefully* minimum distortion across all the ranges. I listen to a lot of various music, so sometimes I want the best SQ ever, and the next I want to be doing hair tricks with lots of undistorted bass! haha!

Is Phase the + and - ? As I was extra careful with that when doing my install.

In regards to the 5 band EQ; would it be worth me looking into a processor? or external EQ of some sort? Or into a new headunit?

First.... if you have an RTA app that works worth a damn, would you mind sharing what it is?

Second... it's really a matter of installation, components, vehicle and personal preference where you set your eq. If we pulled your gear and put it all in my truck the settings would likely end up being different, even if you were the one listening to it. Not much different perhaps, but different none the less.

The real goal of processors, RTA's and equalizers is to get all frequencies as flat as possible but even when you have a flat response, some people don't like that sound and want to boost or cut certain frequencies to suit their own taste. So in the end, no matter how many answers you get to that question, you aren't likely to get the answer that works best for you.

Lol I made a joke about the RTA App, as I'm using the JL Audio app, with inbuilt mic lol no idea how well this works, perhaps someone else could shed some light on this??

That is very true, but my question was how do you go about setting it up, I've learnt so far that its best to turn Loudness and Bass Boost off.

• What about Sound Retriever for those Pioneer folk??
  • And then start by setting Highs, and then mids? And then Lows?
  • Or turn sub off and set front stage separately?
  • Try set EQ at max, undistorted volume? Or at listening volume?

I've heard various other systems that have been installed/setup by a shop and they sound so nice and crisp! I just can't get mine right... or its psychological and I'm wasting your time! haha!

Thanks guys

Naj

I don't have access to an oscilloscope which is the problem. I do, however have a multimeter? But I haven't done any research as to how to use it to set my gains. The other thing is, my sub amp is rated to do 1000wrms@2ohm at 14.4v, and my sub shows 1.8ohms on the multimeter and is rated at 500wrms, so although my amp has a little mark next to the gain setting required for Hi Volt Pioneer units (4v pre outs) I am running the gain a lot lower to compensate for the sub. Not sure if that's an issue or not..

I just want a loud and clean sound system with *hopefully* minimum distortion across all the ranges. I listen to a lot of various music, so sometimes I want the best SQ ever, and the next I want to be doing hair tricks with lots of undistorted bass! haha!

I feel the same way. It would be nice to jam out to some Fink and have it sound great and then go to some gucci and collect tapouts. lol

Is Phase the + and - ? As I was extra careful with that when doing my install.

YES

In regards to the 5 band EQ; would it be worth me looking into a processor? or external EQ of some sort? Or into a new headunit?

It is up to you how far you are willing to go. I run a 30 band eq since it is necessary in my setup. Getting 2 more eventually. I also like having control...and lots of it. A processor can give you that.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived