Second Skin Audio

Ford Taurus build. Dc xl's. Need help with box

throttle98

Hey whats up guys. Im not a begginer but by no means an expert. My setup (as of now):

Woofers:

(2) 12" DC Audio xl m2's. (2) brutus 2400's on the bass side.

Vocals:

1 NVX 800.4 and 4 pwx 6.5's, 2 in each door and 1 super tweeter per side. I am fiberglassing the speakers into the doors soon.

Electrical:

Big 3

Power bastards 220 amp alternator

Dc alternator 370 amp is on the way

1 kintetic 1800 (under hood)

1 kinetic 1400

buying 2 more batteries this week.

Box:

3 cu. ft tuned to 32 hz with 4" port, 14" tall

My voltage goes down to 11.4 when full tilt with the 220 amp alternator.

Dampened with Alpha Damp

2aern75.jpg

24dftr5.jpg

Now, I'm trying to take the next step in the 'spl' direction and fiberglass the box into the rear facing into the cabin. The box doesn't fit fully into the spot where the rear seat fold down. My plan was to fiberlass the perimeter of the box to the opening of the back seat area to try to make it as an extension of some sorts into the cabin.

My real question is about my box. I know it'll be a pain to cut the fiberglass out and was wondering if its the correct box. I had somebody on here from California make me a box built to spec on my woofers to 32 hz. It only hits hard on songs like 'Hard in the paint' Decaf, 'Poor mans hydralics' Decaf. It wont go as low as 28 hz without sounding extremely bad for my woofers.

I know Decaf makes songs with both 28 hz and 40 hz in the same song which has me wondering why my box doesn't have a wider range. I keep reading its about how you make the box, which to me is too open ended and confuses me. Is the port longer for wider ranges? Thanks.

Honestly I'd have to take the woofers out again which is a pain to do myself. The box and woofers must weigh ` 150+ lbs. I thought it looked to short but he used the calculator to tune it with my woofers to 32hz. I kind of want to go lower now, but who knows. I am also considering upgrading to dc level 5's eventually which require the same cu. ft. box. I will need to save lots more $$ though and not in the near future.

Will my design work by turning the box around and 'extending' it into the cabin with fiberglass. Basically by pushing it as close as I can into the cabin and than fiberglassing it into the area that goes into the back seat? (that plastic trim)

Its honestly not loud enough. Like I had a 800 rms chrome orion amp years ago in my 91 300zx with 2 12"s in a pre fabbed ported which I remeber being louder to the point it shaked my vision.

Is that after displacements of before? Those subs take up .19 cubes each plus your port.. I'm guessing the box is to blame here because your equipment is good.. And the dc alt will make a world of difference compared to power bastards

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

Honestly im not sure. I assumed he knew what he was doing. Ill take it apart ...again... tomorrow, measure, and take some pictures.

I had 2 earthquake sub zeros in a pre fabbed 32 hz box and it made the windshield move more than this setup using one of the brutus 2400s with the same electrical.

Anybody know of any box builders in Nj?

You don't have to take it all apart.. Just measure your external dimensions and post them here along with any bracing and your port width/length one of us should be able too see what's going on. Also some guys act like they know what they're doing just to make a few hundred dollars off of someone who doesn't know any better I've been there. It sucks but a lot of knowledgable people here to get you in the right direction.

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

Alright external dimensions are 33" wide, 14" tall, and 21" deep. The port is full 4" wide on the outside and around the bend. The port goes 16" deep. I tried my best to measure the length of the port on the inside of the box and I believe its 15" wide (going the width of the box).

I forgot to add the wood is 3/4" and the face where you mount the woofers is double layered.

dy88rc.jpg

a9uwc3.jpg

Just spent hours and hours and shed some blood on this one. This Alpha Damp is SHARP. I drove around and learned the front area above the rear view needs lots of reinforcement and I tripple layered it at some places and it still shakes. I used a full 20 sq. feet of material just on the ceiling.

Anybody able to please help me with my box situation? Maybe I should just throw some poly fill in there right? haha

Archived