Second Skin Audio

horizontal vs vertical port

Fuzzy336

so I'm trying to design a box for 4 15" l7's running off of 2 zx2500.1 for my tahoe, and I want to do subs up port back, with the port on the back facing the hatch, would having a vertical port vs a horizontal port make a difference? I made a quick image below to explain what I mean, and note, the image is not to scale lol.

portquestion.png
how to do a screenshot on a pc

so would there be any difference in between the two? and if so which would be better and why?

Also, I want to tune the box to 32 Hz so it is loud yet still sounds relatively good as a daily driver, would you recommend a different tune? I want to put up good numbers yet I still want to hide a decently wide range of notes, so im not looking for a 1 note wonder SPL box, but I do want to slam the lows. and incase its needed, the Fs of the L7's is 26.2 Hz and my tahoes resonance is 38 Hz if i remember correctly. the box will be between 20-24^3 ft after all displacement also. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

Just think about where you would think the most pressure would build up and go from there.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I thought about that, with a horizontal port at the bottom of the box would make the subs move most of the air in the box, correct?

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

if the port is at the bottom of the back and the subs are on the top of the box i wouldnt think so... the box will be at the height of the seats/maybe 1-2" taller than the seats.

My Youtube Channel

...Seems like 90 psi...

depends on the car/suv some are louder with the hoirzontal port some louder with vertical 1 advantage the vertical port has over horizontal is the vertical adds strength and support to the baffel where the subs are mounted that is if the vertical port gos to the baffle if not then its trial and error

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I was just thinking that if I had a horizontal port at the bottom of the box, it would make more air in the entire box move than a vertical port and if it was like a 4" tall port and the box is 4" away from the back hatch, then that increases the distance the air travels from the port to the windshield which in theory would make it a little big louder if im not mistaken, but then again that could all be completely wrong, also do you guys think 32 Hz would be the best tune for what im trying to achieve or would you recommend a different tune?

My Youtube Channel

...Seems like 90 psi...

Archived