Sundown Audio

Watercooling

masterbusa2

So idk why I never hear of anyone usign this, but I have an idea watercooling an amp, what first brought me to the idea was Dry ice cooling an amp for competitions, get that little bit of power you need, putting the dry ice in an aluminum (BOX) heatsink runs some aluminum lines to the heatsinks mounted to the amp to cool it, but then came the issues of condensation, so now I have moved onto the idea of plain jane watercooling. So picture this in your mind still a work in progress but a start to an idea to test some clamps,.... Water has a Extremly high specific heat this is why it can cool the amp better than fans and air it can hold more heat before increasing temperature. So I was going to

1st. Remove Heatsinks by cutting the little Aluminum prongs stickign into the bottom of the heatsink cut the 3 prongs to each one remove screw and heatsink, do the same for all of hte heatsinks.

2nd Cut to size some copper or tubing now this is the hard part I have yet to figure out you can either firgure out a way to screw it to the wall of the amp one long tube of copper or try some mighty putty or Mighty Steel, I havent thought this thru very far. plug the end must be a high pressure plug.

Do tthis to both side of the amp.

3rd. now solder the little prongs which are still conencted to the board or if you are really pro you could drill little holes stick the prongs int eh holes prolly 20 somethign prongs stick the prongs in the holes and seal with silicone or mighty steel your choice seal each hole so no water leaks through.

4. This step is personal prefrence you can either A. Add some short hose that extends out of amp. and fill copper tubes with water plug your little hoses and your done could probably run the hoses to come out beside your normal wires.

5. OR you could run your hoses out of the amp and into a Computer Radiator you could get form any watercooling website so the water can cool off easier! this option is a little more expensive but worth for heat dissapation.

Now as a side note after typign all this I would also consider aluminum tubing instead if they make it because odesnt it dissapate heat better?

Again this is jsut some ideas I have swimmign in my head.. im just a lowbie I know enouhg tech to get myself aroudn I understand that with water you have the chance for leaks and this system would have to be double triple and quadroople checked before running... one other flaw would be alot of bumps you would be gonig over and stuff you would have to make sure there is absolutly no way the hoses could come undone or if you drill holes orf the heatsink prongs that the prong holes wouldnt leak... anyone wanna do soem input or some actual technical reasoning to this? jsut been buging me and on my mind im sure its worth some power clamps with normal heatsinks when first turned on power output, then once hot power output thne do the same with the watercooled setup..

Would also be useful for people mounting in poor ventilation areas..

EDIT: ALSO jsut foudn out there is an anti- condensation silicone spray, if you can get your hands on some you could always add a water chiller they make for aquariums to chill the water... but thats getting onto a whole new level....

I haven't read your entire post yet but for the condensation thing, there's a coating that hardcore PC overclockers (Who use LN2) to coat their circuit boards with to ward off the dangers of the ice/condensation. Could just do that with the amplifier board.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Dry Ice would still be a constant thing probably betetr for comps but for people who dont want to constantly put dry ice in this would be a better option maybe :D idk just a crazy idea btw example of radiator http://compare.ebay.com/like/271170850760?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

For anything long term, you need a stable liquid. Keep in mind that dry ice would not be considered liquid cooling, it's a solid/gaseous form of carbon dioxide. To use it, you'd be dealing with solid/gas conversion as well as pressurization.

Liquid nitrogen is closer to what you're talking about, but you'd be dealing with much lower containment temps, and again, pressurization issues as it exchanges heat.

It all comes back to simple water in the end, which I don't think is feasible with today's equipment simply because the gains could be matched with ventilation.

Another thing to throw in for people is Nothign in this world is 100% efficient due ot thermodynamics law, the only way to acheive 100% is at absolute zero which is impossible, so the closer and closer you get to it though the higher percentage you can get. such as when clamping an amp in a lab at a company they tested the amp at a set Voltage and a set temperature with a certain tone. in their lab what they got from multiple test on multiple different amps is what get CEA certified or what they put on the box as long as they arent a lying company or something. THIS IS HOW I LOOK AT IT AND MAY NOT BE EXACTLY OR EVEN NEAR HOW ITS DONE! So say their lab its 68F in there well of coarse once you get in texas in 104F your going to lose some power now start playing your amp for a little bit your amp gets up to say 140-170F now your losing alot of power..... Just somethign to think about.

Most my friends/family think im crazy cause I always coem up with these crazy ideas so I never try them.... Then again most my friends/family don't have much common sense xD

Archived