Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

is this box design crap? 2 sa12's


bobk83

Recommended Posts

Posted

thanks for getting back to me.originally I wanted to keep access to the spare tire, I made a floor out of 3/4" wood to hold the weight of the box and added hinges so I could lift it to get to the spare. the box can be no deeper than 18" that way, which makes it tough getting a decent size box in. I might scrap that idea and make a bigger box. if I was to make a box that's 34wide 16.5 tall and about 20-22 deep with a port tuned to 33 with 52.5 total port area and 12.77 per foot would that be an improvement? after watching videos on her of these subs I cant help but think the boxes ive made are holding them back .if anyone has a design id be glad to pay for it.

To play nice and low a 4 cubes net box about 50 square inches of port area tuned to 33Hz. Something like this is nice since it's self bracing and loads symmetrically:

tportsingle.jpg

Posted

thanks for getting back to me joe x. I haven't had much free time to put into the box yet but im hopefully going to build it Friday after taking some measurements again.if your available once I came up with measurements would you be able to take a look at it and tell me what you think?

Posted

wouldnt a smaller box hurt the lows? even if the port is bigger? im trying to learn, not being sarcastic. cuz that would cut his box airspace minus displacement down to damn near nothing if im thinking clearly.. (which i may not be lol) thanks for any advice brothers

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

Posted

imfrom210texas, im not positive either which is why I asked him to take a look once I came up with something but I think hes suggesting 4 cubic feet after displacement of the port and subs which would probably make the overall box size around 5.25 cubic feet total.so the new box would be about a cubic foot bigger than what im using now

Posted

Deff. need more port

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Posted

Well I sat on making the box until today which was my day off and I screwed up measurements for the box. I didn't notice I left out sub displacement until after I cut everything but the port. After sub and port displacement its 3.77 cubic feet and 54 square inches of port. I guess I might as well build the box since its all pretty much cut. This Port is 4x13.5x26 instead of 2.75x13.5x26 that the old box was . Is it worth making the box or should I scrap the wood that's already cut and buy new wood to get the extra .25 cubic feet ? I was happier with my old box after giving them more power but the port made noise on deeper bass so I was hoping that thee bigger port would still be an improvement

Posted

Trusting your numbers I'd say 1.9 cubes per sub is ok but your tuning will be somewhat higher than you planned for.

Posted

Hey Joe x The box itself is cut for 34x22x15 but I haven't cut the port yet. I'm thinking either 4x26x13.5 which is about 35hz,14.5 per foot and 54" total or 3.75 X26x13.5 which is about 33 hz ,13.4 per foot and 50" total. Either of those sound ok or have a better idea? I'd like to avoid the port noise I have with the 2.75" port I have now with deeper notes

Posted

Thinking of a port on the side your specs would be 4 cubes net and 32.6Hz tuning with 54 square inches of port area using the dims above, the 26 should be measured along the center line though, if so your box looks good and you won't have any port noise.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6054 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...