impedance question for miss & highs (basic)

David Bailey

Ok, so as I am waiting on my Mechman alt to come in, I am trying to design the best system (within my budget) for my car. But, I realized I have never really worried about impedance when it comes to mids and highs. Is there a law to follow when choosing 2,4 or 8 ohms for mids and highs? My amp for miss and highs is a Mmats E600.4 (4ch class ab) 60 x 4 rms.

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

You want them all to be the same impedance and then it's just whatever will get you to your desired ohm load

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

Well, for one, keep your impedance levels the same across corresponding left and right channels. Some people mix and match speaker types and you have to be careful when doing so. If your amp puts out 75 watts x 4 @ 4 ohms and 150 x 4 @ 2 ohms then decide how many speakers per channel you want to run. For example a basic typical set up is 4 speakers, so if you get 4 4 ohm speakers and wire one per channel your amp will feed them roughly 75 watts each so make sure that is within their power handling capabilities.

Ok cool, so as long as my front and rear mids are the same, then they can run off the same 4 ch amp. I guess I need to find out the impedance of my amp is now. Thanks ya'll.

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

Ok cool, so as long as my front and rear mids are the same, then they can run off the same 4 ch amp. I guess I need to find out the impedance of my amp is now. Thanks ya'll.

No, your front and rear mids don't need to be the same, but your left and right channels need to be pushing the same type of speaker. An example of what NOT to do would be to run tweeters off of your front left, mids off of your front right, and so on. Many people run components up front and coax in the rear. Nothing wrong with that. Also, based on my experience, it is not a good idea to present the 2 front channels with different ohm loads, same with the rear.

I think you are trying to say what your amp is capable of running at. The ohm load it sees it determined by the speakers that are hooked up to it, not by the amp it's self,

So if you were to hook up 2, 4 ohm speakers to one channel, the amp will see 2 ohms, and each speaker will get half of the output power

.Most decent 4ch amps can run at 4 ohms or 2, some even down to one but if its a class a/b amp its probably only stable down to 2.

Ok thanks for the help bro. I get confused sometimes with all this. And that is what i am going to do, 6.5 comps up front and prob keep my JBL 6x9s in the back. All ran off my 4 ch amp.

Archived