Second Skin Audio

help with 4th order for obsidain audio 15

cgallmore

I have an obsidian audio 15 in sub. right now it is in a ported box tuned to 30hz but i want to play highs while still getting the lows. i was debating on a 4th order. obsidians site says 2-2.5 for sealed box and i was reading that a 4th is a 2:1 ratio. is a 1:1 ratio okay? i was thinking about tuning the ported section to 40 hz is that still too low?

Here are the specs of the sub

Re: 4.0 Ohm
Fs: 31 Hz
Qms: 2.9
Qes: 0.76
Qts: 0.61
Vas: 81
Le: 4.36 mH
BL: 18.18
SPL: 87 dB
Sd: 856 cm^2
Mms: 321 g
Xmax: 20mm
Peak-to-peak: 62mm (2.45")
Power Handling: 600 watts RMS

Recommended enclosure info:
Sealed ~ 2.0 to 2.5 ft^3
Ported ~ 2.5 to 3.75 ft^3 @ 28 to 32 Hz
Cutout: 14.0"
OD: 15.5"
Mounting depth: 8"
Mounting flange to top of surround: 1.5"
Displacement: 0.19 ft^3

I would probably do 1.5 sealed and 3 ported. That is my opinion, maybe some greater minds would chime in for ya.

does the tuning seem okay? the dimensions i have to work with is small i have 32w 20h 20d

How much power are you going to be running to it?

if you do 1.75 sealed and use a 2 in port tuned to 30 htz you would end up with about 3.5 ported side. These numbers would be pretty close if you double baffled it cuz i went off of two seperate boxes

I would probably do 1.5 sealed and 3 ported. That is my opinion, maybe some greater minds would chime in for ya.

does the tuning seem okay? the dimensions i have to work with is small i have 32w 20h 20d

if you do 1.75 sealed and use a 2 in port tuned to 30 htz you would end up with about 3.5 ported side. These numbers would be pretty close if you double baffled it cuz i went off of two seperate boxes
A 4th order tuned to 30 Hz huh, I'm not sure about that....

And a 2" port? How inefficient and worthless do you want the enclosure to be?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

You are missing to tell what vehicle, the specs of the box, you could just have a weak or misaligned front stage, but if it sounds boomy or loose then that's different, likely a box issue.

its a 2005 toyota rav4 and it plays a god awful noise above 35 hz. and im running 800 watts and its rated for 600. i feel like i dont get any power from it unless my radio is turned up all the way. i want to play a little higher notes than what im at now.

And a 2" port? How inefficient and worthless do you want

And a 2" port? How inefficient and worthless do you want the enclosure to be?

This was just for example. He can figure out the numbers he wants to use

Archived