tburt915 Posted September 28, 2013 Report Posted September 28, 2013 I was planning on buying the Rockford Fosgate RF-BLD line driver. It says its minimum output is 11v however the maximum input on my Sundown SAZ1500D is only 6v? Will i get clipping from the amp if i use this line driver? is it just a waste and wont help sq?
TylerParrish Posted September 29, 2013 Report Posted September 29, 2013 It's an amazing device. There's a gain knob on it for setting the voltage, just play a 40 Hz test tone through your stereo and turn your radio up to your max listening volume and turn it up. The lights on the unit will show you approximately how many volts it's putting out. That's how I did it anyways, I'm sure a DD-1 would be better if you had one though. What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?2013 Kia Forte Koup Pioneer AVH-X4600BT iDMax 12 DD M1c @ 2 ohms Rockford Prime 200.2 Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set XS S3400, D2700 Project DB Battery Terminals Axxess ASWC Stinger HPM Everywhereeee 90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill Stock Alt Stuff To Come Sundown X-12 New Amp New Comps 4 Channel Amp My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/ My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang Avatar Courtesy of SnowDrifter
TheMonolith2001 Posted September 29, 2013 Report Posted September 29, 2013 Theoretically you would set the line driver to 6v, and the gain to zero on the amp, and you are running most efficiently that way. You need an oscope/dd1 to verify though. If you go over 6v, You will probably be clipping or damage the input on the amp.
Pro7 Posted September 29, 2013 Report Posted September 29, 2013 Setting the line driver so you use no gain on the amp isn't always the best way. Different amps like different input voltages, I forgot who it was but someone clamped a few amps with different input voltages and each one had a little bump in power in different input v ranges. All gains set with o scope of course I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before
Jessica Posted September 29, 2013 Report Posted September 29, 2013 If you use a 0db test tone to set it to 6v as long as you don't go past the volume you set it with I don't think it will exceed 6v even if you clip. It will just be 6v. But a dd-1 is a great idea so you know you are getting a clean signal. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
tburt915 Posted October 1, 2013 Author Report Posted October 1, 2013 does anyone know what voltage sundowns like to get?
TheMonolith2001 Posted October 6, 2013 Report Posted October 6, 2013 Setting the line driver so you use no gain on the amp isn't always the best way. Different amps like different input voltages, I forgot who it was but someone clamped a few amps with different input voltages and each one had a little bump in power in different input v ranges. All gains set with o scope of course Well I did say theoretically Was it really much of a difference though or are we talking a dozen or so watts? It may be within the margin of error of the clamp meter. Here is what you should do to account for all variables though - Get the line driver with the broadest range, then you can find out for yourself what works best. I think the better your head unit is the smaller difference a line driver is going to make though because really what your going for is consistency + a decent voltage and your adjusting your gain to match what you are putting in. If your head unit has decent volts on the preouts already I wouldn't bother. My amp has a switch for different ranges of inputs, I think it can go up to something stupid like 14 volts at the highest setting. That doesn't mean im going to bother trying to give it that much input. The gain is already at a pretty low value and im pretty sure when you hit that switch all it really does is activate a resistor on the inputs basically lowering what you put in AKA undoing what I just did with a line driver.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.