Second Skin Audio

Sealing Off Trunk

Wood

I have a couple of question about sealing enclosures from the trunk... First off, when Is it logical to seal in a trunk setup besides trunk rattle, because from my experience subs facing rear have a "lower" output then when facing subs forward (without being sealed off though). Second, why does it depend on what vehicle when any truck can do a cut out from the bed and it sounds good (as in keeping the low end). So Shouldn't a trunk have the same characters if properly sealed off because its a "cut out" from the cabin?

I ask because Im not shooting for numbers rather quality! and if i CAN eliminate trunk rattle and still retain the same quality from rear facing, then it'll be perfectly justified as to why boxes should be sealed. Also it'll be nice to save my hatch before things start breaking from the rear facing setup.

My car is a 2011 Altima and I plan to run 2 Fi BL 12s on a RF T2500bdcp (as far as my substage)

2011 Nissan Altima aka Red Ruby

HEADUNIT: Pioneer AVH X2700BS

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-(2) Northstar SMS220 w/ Custom Terminals from 12V Metalworkz

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-(3) Sundown Audio SA REV2 12's

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

MISC (NON AUDIO RELATED):

-Interior & Exterior Lights LED

-Gloss Black Roof (PAINTED)

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-20" TSW Snettertons (20x8.5 front, 20x10 rear)

-Custom Projector Retrofit (FX-R 3.0, 6.5k HID, Morimoto Mini H1 (faux projector), Quad Starry Night Halos) ----- COMING SOON!!

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

-Custom Painted Engine Covers

My Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169869-woods-2011-altima-aka-red-ruby-new-video-more-updates/page-109

Retrofit Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185787-hid-projector-retrofitting-diy-by-wood/#entry2765346

In your altima it will get louder when sealed and facing in,you will most likely notice a gain in the 20-35hz range. As far as breaking things,even if you sealed off from the trunk,it is still possible to break things in your interior. My single 15 has unbolted my front right seat assembly/broke my sunroof(keeps flapping open) shattered the plastic panels above the rear speakers/broke my 3rd brake light assembly/rattled my driver visor out ect....

In your altima it will get louder when sealed and facing in,you will most likely notice a gain in the 20-35hz range. As far as breaking things,even if you sealed off from the trunk,it is still possible to break things in your interior. My single 15 has unbolted my front right seat assembly/broke my sunroof(keeps flapping open) shattered the plastic panels above the rear speakers/broke my 3rd brake light assembly/rattled my driver visor out ect....

Thank you for responding, what year altima do you have?

and also I dont have the sunroof option (wish I did and thought about after market but if its gonna rip my roof then nvm LOL)

The other reason I wanted to seal is for design purpose, I figured it would be easier to make an amp rack and have beauty panels!

Do you have experience on the best port placement for our car? because If I can do a center port, I can have the upholstery people that my cup holder out and stick the seat so the bass can travel without having my seats down all the time..

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-Custom Projector Retrofit (FX-R 3.0, 6.5k HID, Morimoto Mini H1 (faux projector), Quad Starry Night Halos) ----- COMING SOON!!

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

My Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169869-woods-2011-altima-aka-red-ruby-new-video-more-updates/page-109

Retrofit Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/185787-hid-projector-retrofitting-diy-by-wood/#entry2765346

I actually have an Acura TL, I am a professional installer for a living and have a tad bit of experience with 4 door trunk vehicles in terms of sealing the trunk from cabin. If your going to seal off from the trunk and fire forward it is best to make sure there is nothing obstructing your port (rear seats) my seats don't fold down just a ski hole in the middle,with my seats installed it now peaks at 35hz vs 31hz without the seat,so just don't block your port.if you want to have the seats up & you have a center ski hole/arm rest you could do the port closest to the hole (bottom or top) or you could have a 4th order blow through enclosure designed to blow through the center.dont worry to much about airspace, your altima trunk has a wide opening . Remember to isolate the rear deck from the trunk with deadener or something,yes it matters.

Well,I'm running a 4300w rms amp. Full tilt flaps my sunroof open(air pushes out)I'm willing to bet I'm only seeing half that power with impedance rise,I see you have a 2500bdcp wich will counter any rise issue you come across as long as your sitting at 1ohm nominal. Assuming yours will be as loud as mines,you will start breaking shit like it or not. If your panels and shit are flexxing over an inch then you should be prepared for shit to crack,fall apart

I actually have an Acura TL, I am a professional installer for a living and have a tad bit of experience with 4 door trunk vehicles in terms of sealing the trunk from cabin. If your going to seal off from the trunk and fire forward it is best to make sure there is nothing obstructing your port (rear seats) my seats don't fold down just a ski hole in the middle,with my seats installed it now peaks at 35hz vs 31hz without the seat,so just don't block your port.if you want to have the seats up & you have a center ski hole/arm rest you could do the port closest to the hole (bottom or top) or you could have a 4th order blow through enclosure designed to blow through the center.dont worry to much about airspace, your altima trunk has a wide opening . Remember to isolate the rear deck from the trunk with deadener or something,yes it matters.

Thank you for your help! And my seat has an arm rest that I can remove so air can blow thru if I Port middle... I rather stay away from 4th order for now because thats too much space taken as I'm trying to design a nice trunk with beauty panels and such for when I go to car shows.... and I actually planned to seal the rear deck as I've invested in 2 sets of morel components for my front stage. I have my deck actually "simulating" my current 6x9s as "woofers" and I like the sound better then rear fill.. so the deck will be completely sealed!

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

Well,I'm running a 4300w rms amp. Full tilt flaps my sunroof open(air pushes out)I'm willing to bet I'm only seeing half that power with impedance rise,I see you have a 2500bdcp wich will counter any rise issue you come across as long as your sitting at 1ohm nominal. Assuming yours will be as loud as mines,you will start breaking shit like it or not. If your panels and shit are flexxing over an inch then you should be prepared for shit to crack,fall apart

Yes my plan is to run the bdcp at 1 ohm... powering a pair of Fi BL 12s ... I dont mind plastic parts cracking and what not, I just dont want to get a sunroof installed just for the damn thing to split my roof LOL

ELECTRICAL:

-Singer 230a

-Northstar gr34

-100% Welding Cable

FRONT STAGE:
-(2 Sets) Hertz HSK165

-Hertz HSK130

-Ampere Audio 125.4

SUB STAGE:

-Ampere Audio 3800.1 V2

-15% Front, 5% Rear Tint

-Roof Spoiler

-Aftermarket Fog Lights

Archived