Multiple subwoofer locations? Up front bass FTW?

Kevin M

My build is in pretty good shape at this point. As many have seen I have 3 18" Infinite baffle where my back seat was. I have tons of output but on a few tracks I feel like the bass is directly behind me. (not talking about ra either) I have eq'd a little more midbass (50-300 hz) into the 12" in the doors. That brought the stage forward but I hit a wall as I added more midbass the stage lowered. At this point in my tuning of the stereo it is becoming a thorn in my side. I could lower the gain but then I will lose some impact and dynamics. I have adjusted the q (parametric in HU) at 45hz 3db. That helped a lot. I thought I could add a 10" or 12" in the passenger foot-well to bring that bass forward.

I am asking if anyone has had any experience with subwoofers in multiple locations. I haven't been able to find much info on the googles. I saw a couple vehicles using the dash but I might want to add a center channel down the road and taming rattles in the dash would be a nightmare.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Do you have your sub driver stage time aligned with your mid bass drivers ???

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Turn down the x-over on your subs.

They are crossed at 50 hz 24db slope
My subs seem to mate with the mid bass drivers better set on a 12 db slope ... Then again, I'm depending greatly on cabin resonance

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

No time alignment. I was looking at a mini dsp. You think T/A will solve the problem?

Well, you know I hate processors ... But time alignment (preferably built into you head unit) is a must !!!

My subs are time aligned to correct that particular problem

Turn down the x-over on your subs.

They are crossed at 50 hz 24db slope
My subs seem to mate with the mid bass drivers better set on a 12 db slope ... Then again, I'm depending greatly on cabin resonance

I thought about this. The car peaks at 45 hz.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Refresh my memory please ... Are you using any time alignment in your system ???

Archived