get 4 more subs and 2 more amps and wall all 6

please

luckily recones are pre-assembled in china and readily available!

Incorrect.

All re-cones are built here at our shop -- and many complete Z v.4 woofers are built here as well. We use a hybrid production system where we stock a predicted quantity of Z v.4 from our factory and also stock all of the raw parts to build them as well -- if we run out of a certain configuration we build them, if someone needs a customized driver we build that too. We've probably built about 40-50% of the units sold so far here and 50-60% are factory made.

To answer the OP -- the Z v.4 line has been known to handle ~2x or so of it's rated power.

A thermal failure is unlikely in most applications -- you would be more likely to damage the lead-wire via clipping or perhaps even damage the spider itself physically. In one of our test bench setups here (Jovanni's Golf) on a 3500D @ 0.5 ohm we saw these type of things before thermal failure. He did have a massive 3 cubic foot box for one 12" woofer, though, so a more reasonable box would largely eliminate the possibility of physical spider damage (2.25 or so seems to be pretty ideal in our testing so far). So just keep an eye on clipping and you can run a ton of power on them =)

• Like 5

you would be more likely to damage the lead-wire via clipping or perhaps even damage the spider itself physically.

In one of our test bench setups here (Jovanni's Golf) on a 3500D @ 0.5 ohm

we saw these type of things before thermal failure.

He did have a massive 3 cubic foot box for one 12" woofer)

i sure wish there was a video of this ;)

Local guy(and fellow forum member)has one on around 3K and I'm unsure of how he set his gains, but I smell coil after a couple of songs. Be careful with the gain setting and keep your nose on top of it. Don't play hard on it when you have a cold, you won't want to miss something ;)

Edited by CleanSierra

Jacob, I was under the impression a 3ft^3 box was the correct airspace for a Zv4 12. Are you saying that a 2.25-2.5 box would be better?

Edited by gzo12885

you would be more likely to damage the lead-wire via clipping or perhaps even damage the spider itself physically.

In one of our test bench setups here (Jovanni's Golf) on a 3500D @ 0.5 ohm

we saw these type of things before thermal failure.

He did have a massive 3 cubic foot box for one 12" woofer)

i sure wish there was a video of this ;)

There should be plenty out there floating around.

Jacob, I was under the impression a 3ft^3 box was the correct airspace for a Zv4 12. Are you saying that a 2.25-2.5 box would be better?

I'm sure he's referring to when you throw double the rated power on it, hence the reason for shrinking the enclosure.