Second Skin Audio

Aeroport recommendations - Fi Q12

So I'm starting to think about trying out a new box in my truck that uses Aeroports instead of slot ports. I really don't know much about how to determine how much port area to use, especially when it comes to Aeroports. So if anyone out there could help me understand how to find the correct amount of port area, that would be great! I've heard people say 9-12 sq inches of port per cubic foot, but I also know that's not a very accurate way to find port area.

Anyways, I have a fully loaded Fi Q12 running at 1ohm off of my BC2000d. I'd like to build the box around 2 cubic feet and have a partially external Aeroport, so that I can remove the external part when I need to fit another person in the back of my truck. I'd like for it to be tuned around 35hz without the port extension, and probably somewhere around 29 or 30hz with the extension. The orientation of the box will be sub forward, with the port exiting on the driver side of the box, just like my current box.

Here's what my current setup looks like for reference:

P1170438_zps8b020354.jpg

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

What's wrong with the way you have your box now

Sub fwd port side

If you use aero ports fit them all in the box so you no remove nothing

And you can also do it with the ported side to the wall

If you do slot port to side lie it on the bottom for a more efficient port ratio

I like sub up port to drivers side about 7-10 off the side wall

What's wrong with the way you have your box now

Sub fwd port side

If you use aero ports fit them all in the box so you no remove nothing

And you can also do it with the ported side to the wall

If you do slot port to side lie it on the bottom for a more efficient port ratio

I like sub up port to drivers side about 7-10 off the side wall

There really isn't anything wrong with my current box, but I do a lot of mountain biking and dirtbiking and I'll usually have to have a third person in my truck that has to sit in the back seat. It gets a little crammed back there, so I'm trying to downsize the box a bit for when that happens. And the reason for having part of the port on the outside is so that I can have it tuned low when I'm just driving to school and such, and then I'll be able to take off the extension and have it tuned around 35ish when I go riding. That way I won't have to take up more volume inside of the box. I also read somewhere that you should try to not have bends in an aeroport, and a port tuned to 28/29 (with 2 4inch aeroports) would be a tad bit too long to fit in the box without any bends.

I'll keep your advice in mind, though. Thanks!

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

i´m with john on this one, sub up/port size works great on that truck, should give you better lows in my opinion.

For that sub, i would definitely use a single 6" full lenght aeroport and a bigger box, you could use pvc also and flare it on both ends with some wood or even with some heat and a mettalic bowl, but if you really want to stay as small as you can, i guess i would do maybe about 2.5 cubic feet and 2 4" aeros about 17" long, should end up tuned to about 35 hz as you want and defenitely with a nice f3 as you want...

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

Archived