Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Calculating port area and length from driver specs?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey guys how's it going? It's been a while since I posted asking a technical question of this sort so I figured it was due time! I'm just trying to figure out how best to go about my next build since I haven't really had much time to do test enclosures like I would've liked with school 4 days of the week and work 4 days of the week.

What I'm wondering about is how to determine an optimal set of box specs from the T/S parameters of the sub. Xmax, Fs, desired tuning frequency of box, etc. This is for a regular ported box and/or wall. I'm sure there are all sorts of equations out there for determining the ideal box specs based on what specific driver you're using as well as how much power you're applying and all other sorts of factors.

What I'm interested in is the science behind it I suppose. I've never really put much thought into designing my past ported boxes other than using the optimal box size provided by the manufacturer and then constructing the port area based on the old 12-16 in^2 per cu ft net and then adjusting the length to whatever tuning frequency I wanted. This is boring. I want to get into the nitty gritty of it but I don't even know where to begin looking for this.

How do you guys calculate your port area and length and all that fun stuff? I'm going with the recommended net volume per driver based on the fact that I'll be running rated power and now I want to find out how to determine optimal port specs to get the sound I'm looking for. I know there are some of you guys out there (Ray) whose posts I've come across in older threads that are sort of along the lines of what I'm looking for but where the info wasn't really given. That's fine. Don't tell me how much port area I need for my application. Tell me how to figure it out for myself! Thanks for reading guys, and I really do hope this turns into a good read :)

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif
Posted

For pretty much everything this site is great for it:

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

For calculating port area and length these are some great formulas:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/misc/portcal.htm

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=21

If you want to get into the real "nitty gritty" parts of it check out this, any further look into the sources he sites:

http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/

Along with this link:

http://www.avatar.com.au/courses/PPofM/

Great books are:

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 7th generation

Handbook for Sound Engineers

There are plenty more but that should keep you busy for a few months.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Posted
b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6425 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...