mmets Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 I'm planning on building a box in the back of a 2007 trailblazer for a couple DC XL 15's. There is a big debate on using birch or mdf for boxes. I have never used birch before and the closest place that carries birch is only 9 ply and runs about 40 a sheet. I am not sure if it is baltic birch or even void free. From the price I dont think it is though but could be wrong. The box will be around 48x24x19 I beleive.(my sketch is at home, I think total it ended up around 7 cubes after displacement/bracing, port i think was 9x9x16 or 18 with about 12 sq. in. per ft. tuned at 34) With this size box would it be better to just stick with mdf or try my hand with the birch? Of course inside will be resin, some 45's and some 1.5 inch dowels for bracing running off a 5K. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/Pioneer DEH-80PRSPRV 8MR400-NDY (eight) PRV TW350Ti (6)Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gaugeTM Metalworkz battery terminals 120 sqft HushmatXS Power D3100 (6)Singer 350 Amp Alt Singer 320 (2)American Bass SQL3200 JL Audio JX360/4 Crossfire XS 8K (2) DC Audio XL 15s (6)
CstrokerV Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 if that's actually your port dimensions 9 high by 9 wide thats only 11.57 sq inches per cube if its 7 cubes after port bracing and sub displacement.... and it will be 35 hz at 18 inches long and if its 16 iches long its about 36.5hz my build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/142505-small-build-log-4-dc-lvl3-10s-tl-update-link-to-rebuild/ http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/154258-rebuild-6-lvl3-12s-update-small-video-nothing-spectacular/ new build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188181-03-trailblazer-slow-build-8-dc-lvl3-12-m1-motor-m2-parts/
mmets Posted October 11, 2013 Author Report Posted October 11, 2013 Maybe it was at 35. I'll have to look when I get back home. Should I make the box a little bigger to get more port area? I think i can still go back a few inches to the rear or even up if need be. I really dont care about having a lot of room in the back. I just bought the vehicle so I could do a bigger system in the back. (wife wasnt too happy about that either lol) http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/Pioneer DEH-80PRSPRV 8MR400-NDY (eight) PRV TW350Ti (6)Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gaugeTM Metalworkz battery terminals 120 sqft HushmatXS Power D3100 (6)Singer 350 Amp Alt Singer 320 (2)American Bass SQL3200 JL Audio JX360/4 Crossfire XS 8K (2) DC Audio XL 15s (6)
Crandis16 Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 A lot of people run Birch ply for the weight. Birch pros Light weight birch cons Price Splintering Mdf pros Clean cutting edges Price Mdf cons Weight Saw dust Those are the obvious pros and cons that I was able to gather. I haven't compared the acoustical characteristics. I think most of the louder guys run MDF I like to run Birch when I need add little weight as possible My Red zx2 Build Log My Black zx2 Build Log My Red zx2 UBL
CstrokerV Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 i would go bigger on port area my box im going to make has 14 sq inches per cube at the moment you can ask someone runiing the 15 xl what they seem to like on the port area like pm cj from the dc section about it my build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/142505-small-build-log-4-dc-lvl3-10s-tl-update-link-to-rebuild/ http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/154258-rebuild-6-lvl3-12s-update-small-video-nothing-spectacular/ new build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188181-03-trailblazer-slow-build-8-dc-lvl3-12-m1-motor-m2-parts/
mmets Posted October 11, 2013 Author Report Posted October 11, 2013 Im not sure if I can even cut the brich that well. I have a old table saw that use to be my grandfathers but have a new blade on it. Router has only been used a few times but not sure how well it would work on the birch. I dont really care about the weight that much but just dont want to spend money on some wood that I end up having to toss really. Box is not a true square either. The back side will be cut for my battery and amp rack as well. (XS 3100, 5K and 175.4) http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/Pioneer DEH-80PRSPRV 8MR400-NDY (eight) PRV TW350Ti (6)Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gaugeTM Metalworkz battery terminals 120 sqft HushmatXS Power D3100 (6)Singer 350 Amp Alt Singer 320 (2)American Bass SQL3200 JL Audio JX360/4 Crossfire XS 8K (2) DC Audio XL 15s (6)
AtlasMick Posted October 11, 2013 Report Posted October 11, 2013 If you aren't worried about weight, just go with MDF. Bracing the MDF will work great too, and it's plenty stiff already.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.