Question - This has my brain itching. (sq)

Jessica

Alright, well if i get a day off from work, if that is. and i can get my but outside i will wire up the passsives for the hel of it and just put my xover points on the headunit and full and see what it does.

you definitely do not need to run active. if you do make it to world finals take a listen to my car ... it is a simple 5.25 passive component set and single 8" subwoofer. my car had a 6.5" 3-way active set and how it sits now is better in any every way

i dont think you guys have the same definition for SQ...

TEAM SUNDOWN HAWAIIHAWAIICARAUDIO.NET

150Db Club

160Db club in the future

I see krakin as a threat

you definitely do not need to run active. if you do make it to world finals take a listen to my car ... it is a simple 5.25 passive component set and single 8" subwoofer. my car had a 6.5" 3-way active set and how it sits now is better in any every way

i dont think you guys have the same definition for SQ...

and what would the "proper" definition of SQ be? this car has won plenty of sq competitions and is going to world finals .... i guess the SQ judges have it wrong also.

The trouble i have found with going full active vs passive is tweeter attenuation. For instance, i found with only my mids hooked up with no tweets they sound very "midy" if that makes sense. Once the tweeters were hooked up that went away, but here is the catch. Trying to balance tweeter output and not cut them so much that the mids don't start to sound middy again and still have enough sound from them that they arent too bright..

Don't get me wrong on this, i can get everything to sound good enough that i can listen to it with no complaints. It's just that i am OCD about how my front stage sounds. And i listen to a huge variety of music. I think part of my issue is that some songs are just recorded a bit bright and some songs are just a bit flat and some are in-between. It's just I really really notice the difference in all of them more since i am not running a cheap pair of 6x9's and some coaxials.

I don't know what all music you guys listen to, but judging by the "waht are you currently listening to" thread, a lot of people here only listen to rap. I rarely listen to rap. I like Jazz, rock, country, blues. I have some stuff with Tony Bennet and KD lang doing duets, i have some fleetwood mac, eagles, Vince Gill, A7x.... You get the point.

So i guess the root question here is, i it possible to have one EQ curve and ect. that plays everything well, or is this just what i have to deal with?

^Ideally you should have one setting that is the most "accurate" to the sound reproduction. But, like you may be running into, that sometimes means that you notice the lower quality of some songs or they sound different to you than you are used to.

I notice a huge difference in high end clarity and definition when switching between CDs and Ipod in my car.

Team NorthWestSPL

I am going to buy a few CD's of some of the music i like and compare the sound to my mp3's. Hopefully i will find good results. I may get that CD that SQ guys use, if i can find the name of it. I saw it in the SQ songs thread. Just have to go look it up and see if i can find one

edit:

Sheffield Labs cd. But which one? so many of them.

I have Chesky Records "The Ultimate Demonstration Disk" and "The Four Seasons".

I also have the Sheffield "Drum and Track Record".

I really like the Ultimate Demonstration Disk.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

How do you have that cd, its on pre-order. I ordered it anyway, and have it set for 1 day shipping. Amazon Prime. I'll try it out when it gets here.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived