Whats the difference? DTS and Dolby Digital, Home systems

I'm just wondering whats the difference between the two and also non dts or dolby digital surround as opposed to encoded format? While I think I can hear the difference between DD and normal surround I am not entirely sure If I can actually tell, One thing is for certain though, I can tell when its in DD mode the center channel stands out more than anything else its almost like it over powers everything else. But that's about it, If all it does is change the center speaker to make it more powerful then it seems that its a waste.

I've been told that in a true surround sound system most of the voices come through the center channel, while the front 2 speakers has the sound track and the rear speakers is the effects and ambient noise.

Link to the speaker system I have: Logitech Z906 Digital Home Theater System

Also, What's the difference between the same formats of the same name?

For DTS theres: DTS, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS Neural Surround, and the new DTS Neo X

As for Dolby: Dolby Digital, Dolby True HD, and Dolby Digital Plus Surround.

Is it possible to hear the difference between the two? For that matter is it possible to hear the difference between DTS, and DTS HD Master Audio? Or any difference from the same company or is it just a marketing thing?

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

I had the Z5500's. Logitech's Z906 older model. I always found the DTS to sound better for me. I have no clue what the differences are but I'd like to know too. Tuned in to this one.

I have a Denon AVR and has a ton of formats now and it's confusing. My PS3 has a bunch too. :\

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

I've found DTS does sound better to me also, The Dolby Digital Live on my sound card doesn't sound right to me.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Dts is digital theater sound, making the space seem much larger wither higher acoustic output. Dolby digital will put you more in the center of the action and harder hitting bass notes.

truthsayer

Archived