Second Skin Audio

wft!!! box problems

gmsierra2000

20Hx30Wx25D. 18.5" tall center port, 4" wide, 20" deep.

5.19cuft net (after displacements, not counting bracing), 36hz, with 14sqin of port per cube.

this is barely under the minimum recommended specs for the woofer.

increase depth to 27" and port width to 4.25", you get 5.73cuft at 35.4hz with 13.7sqin of port per cube. still slightly on the small side.

after entering the info in torres box cal,

I get a gross vol: 5.03ft cube

port opening: 2.5"

port vol: 1.35

port length : 26.75"

tune freq: 33.41

net vol: 3.13 ft cube

woofer displacement set at : 0.547

box outside dimension: 30"W x 18"D x 20"H

if I follow my "gross volume" as stated above for overall complete box then I am way over the suggested ported box size per sub which is 3.2 ft cube. do you guys agree?

am I suppose to be looking at my net vol instead????

you're confusing me.

why are you wanting to just get the box specs for one sub, so you can double it?

why not just make it easier and calculate everything out for BOTH subs at one time? its really not that difficult.

you have to come up with 6 cubes net somehow. which is like 8-9 cubes gross. which i dont think should be too hard considering you have an extended cab with no rear seats. but then again, every vehicle is different.

net volume is volume AFTER displacements. after port displacement. after sub displacement. after bracing displacement.

gross volume is EMPTY box space. no displacements are taken into calculation here. think of it kind of as an empty sealed box.

the reason i am trying to build it as a single box is because then i would know exactly how long each port over all length need to be. i am new to the port world and this will be my first port build. i dont want to confuse myself with building the box with dual port. and all these box calculators are placing the port either to the far left of the box or the far right of the box not center like i want.

Common walls are how many edges of the box the port touches. A center port will only touch the top and bottom of the box, so it is a 2-common wall port.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived