Second Skin Audio

wft!!! box problems

gmsierra2000

I actually just thought about this, but if you built the box on 'legs' in a sense so that there was space at the bottom of it to aim the port and subs firing down with the box being pushed as far back as possible, this may help in the sense of firing into a corner as Krakin suggested. Sound waves would be fired down to the floor with the only way to move being forward to the front of the vehicle.

Speculation again

if i were to do this how high should the box sit form the floor?

Two things:

First: That JEEP.....JESUS! Im not sure how he got it work, but it's impressive as hell.

Second: I've lost the ability to help you. You're going to try something that I can't predict for you the outcome. Be prepared to spend tons of time testing and tweaking. I understand the door and window open argument, but at the end of the day, you always had a SOLID roof to help pressurize your cabin. You will effectively lose that roof and it may help, it may hurt. My experience and knowledge are going to tell me that it's going to be HARD to get any kind of loud without a big budget. But once again, what is loud? If loud to you is 135dB, you may be in luck. Loud also feels different in different vehicles.

So I don't think I can help you any longer. You kind of seem set on running what you want to run anyways and more power to you. I wish you luck and I'll watch the build once you start. Your idea of ported and sealed and what you think may be louder is going to be HARD to apply to a vehicle that no longer has a solid top. Factors like which direction to point a port or subs is also going to be difficult to suggest because of your cabin acoustics. I don't think many guys will be able to give you any guess or prediction about performance of a sub setup in that truck.

Edit-Fixed for grammatical errors.

Things like TL only measure sound pressure not sound loudness 2 total different things. So that's why that jeep can be loud as hell and do shit on the meter.

Of course with it being so flimsy it would do shit on the meter, but sit next to it and tell me that's only 135db.

thats what im thinking, i understand that is not creating max pressure but im sure sitting close to those subs are way loud....

im going to try sub up port forward on my build this weekend and see how thing work out for me

if they dont pan out then im trying sub and port up then sub and port forward

thats what im thinking, i understand that is not creating max pressure but im sure sitting close to those subs are way loud....

im going to try sub up port forward on my build this weekend and see how thing work out for me

I actually just thought about this, but if you built the box on 'legs' in a sense so that there was space at the bottom of it to aim the port and subs firing down with the box being pushed as far back as possible, this may help in the sense of firing into a corner as Krakin suggested. Sound waves would be fired down to the floor with the only way to move being forward to the front of the vehicle.

Speculation again

if i were to do this how high should the box sit form the floor?

As much as the width of your port is I believe. That way you aren't choking the port. I don't know how I feel about sub up and port forward though because you'll be firing directly into the rag top, correct? Only reason that sort of worked in my example was because I was firing it into the solid roof of the vehicle and opening the trunk on the opposite end. I'd personally try sub and port forward at first, which would allow you to just flip the box on its back side and do sub and port up later on to see how that sounds. And also possibly both firing down if you build legs for the sides of it.

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Archived