Any Tech Gurus With Cable Internet

Verizon Fios customer here. Wired is at rated, or above on download. Upload is never at rated advertise speeds wired.

Wifi, seems to be the same as wired but obviously it's not getting the same speeds. It's closer to rated the closer I am to the router, and slower the farther I go. With that being said, I don't get anywhere below 75% of my speeds while next to the router if that made any sense.

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

meant to say N as i did in my first post..

Either way if he dont have wireless devices that support N or G he wont get faster wireless speeds..

Buying new routers as he keeps doing is not going to fix the problem. The motorola modem he has is a great modem..

Now he he cant figure out how to log onto it and check his settings, and know what his other wireless devices are, he is going to keep getting the same results just like he did with the netgear he tried as well as the cisco he is going to buy.

When your broadcasting in multiple signals when your not even using 2/3s of those signals your going to get a weaker speed and range vs broadcasting in just the 1 of the signals that you need. Also as you said different channel numbers can help drastically as well.

Alright... Got the new router hooked up and it definitely is a stronger router. I have it setup broadcasting a 2.4ghz network and a 5ghz network. Wireless devices range from iPhone 4s to galaxy S4. So some devices don't support 5ghz. I used to know quite a bit more about router settings but its been nearly 6-7 years since I've done most of this stuff. With the brightouse modem I could get speeds up to 40Mbps download set to 5ghz and 40Mhz right by the modem/router but some devices couldn't use that and it doesn't support dual channels.

Now the Cisco seems to be doing better. The whole first floor of the house is getting from 55Mbps - 40Mbps but it does drop to around 15Mbps upstairs on 5ghz running speed test on and iPad2, Galaxy S3 and a Samsung laptop I just got this year. Most of the walls in my house are plaster so I'm guessing that's cutting the signal down. I'll wait til tonight to get everyone hooked up to it and see how it does.

I know the Surfboard combo is supposed to be good but I had to set it to 5Ghz and have the wireless device 1 foot from it to barely get 50Mbps download.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

I was a cable internet and tv repair tech for about 10 years. We found that with wireless speed problems, the usual cause is location of router and things surrounding it. Brick, metal and thick insulation hinder the signal greatly. But even the we found in open rooms that you can lose 10 mps even 10 feet away. Something in the house is absorbing the signal and we found that you can sometimes you can "bounce" the signal off of something like a wood shelf or cabinet to help the broadcast. Almost in every case going direct cat5e wire is preferred like someone stated above. Another thing we found that if you can change the channel broadcast to another channel can help as well. If say you are in an area with several wifi broadcasts the default channel is usually set to number 1 or 9. They have free wifi channel scanners you can get for a smart phone that looks how many things in that area are on a single channel.

Archived