Any Tech Gurus With Cable Internet

I just switched from U-Verse to Brighthouse Cable. Got their Turbo internet with 60Mbps download. They gave me a Motorola SBG6580 modem/router combo. Wired connection I get 60-70Mbps download speeds all day. Wireless can range from 5Mbps - 30Mbps at best and it is never consistent. I've tried using a separate Cisco router for the wireless but I get the same results with fast wired connections but less then great wireless. Just wondering if anyone else has this modem/router and has this issue. Brighthouse replaced the modem today with another and it is exactly the same problems. I know TWC and XFinity use the same modem in some areas but can't find helpful info anywhere on google.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

i know some of the routers limit your speeds. have to go in to the settings to change out the speed. My netgear router did this and took me forever to figure it out.

are you wired from the router or from the modem?

could also be your actually wireless card/adapter on your PC, is it doing this on all the PC's or just one of them?

My build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143943-2001-mustang-gt-system-rebuild-box-build-pics-updated-61512/

2001 Ford Mustang GT

4.6 SOHC 380HP

270 amp Mechman alt

2 12" Treo SSX custom built.

6.47 cu ft, tuned to 32Hz

2 hifonics Brutus 2400.1, strapped

1 optima yellow top

1 Kinetic HC1800

14.4v @ 29Hz, 2k RPM

over 100ft 1/0 XS flex wire

Big 3 in 1/0

100sq ft fatmat deadener

145.3 on music, 142.6 sealed on music

Stop being a pussy and wall it off.

I hate when my google breaks too

I think the usps must be ran by a bunch of drunk ass oriental midget monkey's on methamphetamines.

We have Cox cable here. And about three months ago they changed the modems out that have a built in battery back up. They were also suppose to be faster. What a bunch of crap, i would say we've lost 50 percent speed. They keep saying they have had some complaints and are still looking into the issue.

truthsayer

I have that new cox modem that has the battery back-up. I've seen a increase in speed vs the old modem they had. I know with netgear routers, you type in your ip in the address bar and it pulls you to your router login screen. Most routers now days come with a cd to aid you with doing a setting setup.

My build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143943-2001-mustang-gt-system-rebuild-box-build-pics-updated-61512/

2001 Ford Mustang GT

4.6 SOHC 380HP

270 amp Mechman alt

1 optima yellow top

1 Kinetic HC1800

14.4v @ 29Hz, 2k RPM

Big 3 in 1/0

100sq ft fatmat deadener

I think the usps must be ran by a bunch of drunk ass oriental midget monkey's on methamphetamines.

Truth, Hard wire in to your modem with a decent cat 5e or cat 6 ( preferred) cable and run a speed test again.

2001 Ford Mustang GT

4.6 SOHC 380HP

270 amp Mechman alt

1 optima yellow top

1 Kinetic HC1800

14.4v @ 29Hz, 2k RPM

Big 3 in 1/0

100sq ft fatmat deadener

Wireless speeds depend on a bunch of things.

Mainly the wireless card your using and the operating speeds of said frequancies of your card.

802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

the 802.11n is going to be the newest and fastest and have a longer range, and a router that is 802.11n can send signal to devices that are 802.11b/g. Its backwards compatible like that, but if your router is the N, and your wireless device is only B, your going to get B speeds and range.

There are also router settings, and sometimes the speeds are limited in your router for the wifi which you can change by logging in to your router, as well as change the output frequencies of your router. If your wireless devices are all 802.11b and your router is doing 802.11n or g, you can change it so it only puts out the one frequencies which will make the 802.11b stronger, and faster.

You should also password your wifi, because who knows who else could be jumping on your net and using your bandwidth for free and slowing things down.

Now that Motorola SBG6580 is a wireless N device, and if you tried with a different router and still slow results Im having a feeling that your wireless devices got B cards which is resulting in the slow speeds and if thats the case changing router settings like I said will help a great bit, or you can buy newer wireless network cards for your wireless devices depending on what they are.

g wireless witch is most common but old now = 54 megabit connection max,

real speed is more like 25-30 megabit

N wireless witch is newer and in most modern 2 year old or younger laptops = Max 300 megabit

or 130megabit real speed if your nice and close

a/c wireless is the newest and can produce real speeds of 300 megabit +

if you look at your wireless property's on your com it will tell you what type of wireless you have and what connection speed you have

you wired lan connection is ether 100 or 1000 megabits

100 megabit = aprox 11.5 - 14.5 megabytes a second transfer speed

Yupp, took me a long time to realize my laptop WLAN card was only G, just a few weeks ago I updated to an Intel 6200 Advanced-N, went up to 130MB/s but was plagued by constant freezing. Returned it and got an actual Dell WLAN card, only about 118MB/s but no freezing (would have got an adapter but didn't wan't anything to take up a USB).

So just fool around with the settings, I honestly don't believe I have any device in my house that runs B standard so I just leave mine on G/N Mixed.

Download this and run on a laptop http://www.xirrus.com/products/wi-fi-inspector.aspx , you use this to see what channels around you are being used by others, you want yours on hopefully a channel that nobody is running. I got great results just by changing my channel.

Boostin, FWIW I bought a Netgear WNR-2000 recently and its nice b/c it comes with the Netgear Genie program I run on my laptop that lets me make basic tweaks to the network like changing channel & resetting router without having to go do it physically.

Audio, his Motorola 6580 does support Wireless N http://www1.arrisi.com/Video-Solutions/US-EN/Products-and-Services/Voice-and-Data-Consumer-Premise-Equipment/DOCSIS-Modems-Gateways-and-eMTAs/Wireless-Cable-Modem-Gateways/SBG6580

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Whats your wireless card for your computer? It's probably limiting your wireless performance.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Archived