Sonic Electronix

can underpowering speaker cause distortion?

ok so i helped a friend out and installed some new 6 1/2 speakers in his car (i will leave brand name un mentioned due to the fact that theres a basher out there for any brand and i dont want that in this thread) but as i was saying i installed them and they are distored with al eq settings flat. they are supposedly rated at 100w rms 200w max the head unit is powering them but they sound bad with the volume up just slightly over half. 20 out of 35. it cant be his head unit because i have the same and mine sounds crystal clear with all the speakers i have bought including the same ones he has but the 6x9 model. the wiring is solid and nicely soldered and i put some heat shrink tubing to give the wiring a cleaner look. so the conclusion is it possible for a speaker to be distorted due to being under powered?

I would say Yes. You are not going to get enough power, nor a clean signal from the HU. Get a little cheap amp and it will help a lot!

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

What brand speakers and HU? Are they a quality brand, or super cheap? I mean, I have heard decent sounding systems on cheap gear, but the install/wiring/power were done right.

Did you get that scar tissue when you got your vagina installed?

KNOWLEDGE DESTROYS FEAR Measure twice, cut once

JVC touchscreen HU Mmats E600.4

Realm L56c Audiophile 6.5 comps up front JBL P963 rear deck PB RTA 112 trunk CE Auto Big 3 Mechman 240alt D'Amore VM-1

i had a component set a while back sound like ass, thought they were crap. threw a cheap 50x4 amp on them and they became some of my favorite speakers ever used in my truck.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Archived