Sundown Audio

Kenwood KAC-9105D, thoughts?

DireRaptor22

OK, I just ordered 2 SA-12s and I'm gonna have them in a nice big ported box tuned to 32Hz. My current amp is the KAC-9105D.

Now... here are my thoughts about this so far...

It seems this particular amp is VERY power hungry and it will wreck my stock electrical system like crazy (dims my lights like hell)... they also tend to get pretty warm despite the fact it has a built in fan (I guess the fan is there for that reason). It is also rated 900W RMS at 1 ohm, which is not that impressive IMO, and the peak rating of 1800W doesn't mean much to me. Would this amp do OK for 2 SA-12s?

Meanwhile, I'm eying a couple of Hifonics amps. The Brutus Elite 1200 and 1700 ones... since I saw one tested on amp test Tuesday (thanks a lot Steve!) and they put out what they're rated at. Not too sure if the KAC-9105D puts out rated wattage though, nobody's ever tested it AFAIK.

The BE1200 and 1700 apparently puts out those RMS wattages at 1 ohm. My dual SA-12s are the dual 4 ohm models so I can hook them up down to 1 ohm. I can get some insane discounts from Fry's (I work there mind you) basically taking the prices of those HIfonics amps down well below 200 bucks.

Now... are the Hifonics amps as power hungry and hot running as the Kenwood? I'd assume it's a better design since they're fanless, and if it's not as power hungry despite being able to put out more power, probably will help my headlights not dim so much as well right?

Noob questions here, obviously. I am still learning! P.S. upgrading my electrical is not worth it atm, may end up switching vehicles soon. Thanks in advance!!

“The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it.” - Friedrich Oblessor

I'd go with a SoundQued Q1-1200D it's 269.... Maybe a little more cash but it's a nice amp. And will retain it's resale value better.

Or an audio technix 1200.1 its 199 on ebay. It's a super legit amp for super cheap.

I know it's not any of the amps you mentioned, but these amps are superior hands down.

I'd go with a SoundQued Q1-1200D it's 269.... Maybe a little more cash but it's a nice amp. And will retain it's resale value better.

Or an audio technix 1200.1 its 199 on ebay. It's a super legit amp for super cheap.

I know it's not any of the amps you mentioned, but these amps are superior hands down.

Superior to the Brutus Elites?? Never heard of them before, but how much do I know? :unsure:

“The fascination of flight can't be expressed with words. But it really lies beyond the capabilities of human endeavor. Once you've experienced it, you'll never be able to forget it.” - Friedrich Oblessor

If you are not upgrading your electrical you need amp that is efficient it takes power to make power. The SQ amp is rated around 80% meaning more power is converted to sound instead of heat. That's why they cost more.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

How efficient are Brutus amps? Would they be at least more efficient than my Kenwood since they are fanless and have better general power ratings?

The Soundqubed ones look very promising... but I'm not ready to spend that much yet. I'm still having the idea of keeping my current amp if it's not gonna be too inefficient to run two SA-12s, but if needed I can upgrade to the Brutus by first choice since I can get them really cheap. I'd have to sell my Kenwood first to do that though lol.

Hifonics amps are known to be power hungry as well. You may do better on a hifonics, but unlike what they used to be, they are more of a budget amp now. If I were you, I would save up some money and buy a better amp altogether. The audio technix 1200.1 is a great deal now for $200 it puts out over rated.the soundqubed 1200D is a good option as well and so it a CT Sounds amp.

You may want to give the hifonics a try if you can get for real cheap and are having problems with current amp. What vehicle do you have?

My audio system

HU - Kenwood KDC bt755HD

Subs - Sundown SA 10 -2

Amplifier - CT Sounds 900.1

Car - 2013 scion TC

"It matter's not what other's think about you as long as you are happy with who you are"

"Great people didn't not sit around and wait for great thing's to come their way, they laced up their shoes, went out kicked some ass and made them happen"

"Until you've taken a long walk in my size 11 you have no right to judge me"

Musical interests: We came as romans, A Day To Remember, Three Days Grace, Disturbed, Story Of The Year, Atreyu, Breaking Benjamin, rise against, bullet for my valentine, red, skillet, Volbeat, alterbridge, creed, T.I., B.o.B, Eminem, T-pain,

Superior to the Brutus Elites?? Never heard of them before, but how much do I know? :unsure:

Yes, with the amps I listed your going to get good clean power. SoundQubed is a tryed and proven amp by many.

Added a little more

Hifonics amps are known to be power hungry as well. You may do better on a hifonics, but unlike what they used to be, they are more of a budget amp now. If I were you, I would save up some money and buy a better amp altogether. The audio technix 1200.1 is a great deal now for $200 it puts out over rated.the soundqubed 1200D is a good option as well and so it a CT Sounds amp.

You may want to give the hifonics a try if you can get for real cheap and are having problems with current amp. What vehicle do you have?

The Hifonics BE1200.1D is $299.99 at Fry's but after employee discount I can pick one up for $166, so it's quite a discount!

No matter how power hungry the Hifonics are they shouldn't be worse than the Kenwoods though right? I've seen on countless reviews of the Kenwood amp on how power hungry it is and how hot they run. It should at least be an improvement over it right? I tend to take these upgrades slowly, one bit at a time... for now it's mainly easier on the electrical and a bit more power than before (900W RMS vs 1200W RMS @ 1 ohm). Although I'm gonna have headlights dimming no matter what.

Current vehicle is a 2002 Toyota Sienna van. Not sure exactly how long I'll keep it, but it's not gonna be a permanent vehicle... that's for sure. So no electrical upgrades would be worth doing on it atm.

ct sounds/audiotechnix > anything maxxsonics makes.

spend the $34 more from the $166 and you'll get an amp that is higher quality and outputs more power. that is, the ct 1200.

ct sounds/audiotechnix > anything maxxsonics makes.

spend the $34 more from the $166 and you'll get an amp that is higher quality and outputs more power. that is, the ct 1200.

This one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technix-1200-1-amp-amplifier-1200w-RMS-2400w-MAX-Class-D-1-ohm-stable-/121106776171

For $200 looks quite promising... they are also very close by... same state so shipping would be fast too!

Archived