line driver

keith

Hi guys I am wondering if a audio control line driver would help my system its pretty clear now but wanted to try the line driver to boost the signal going to the amps or would it be a waste of money with my current set up which consists of the pioneer 80 prs, zed draconia lll, and t 1500 bdcp. any thoughts on this I am sure would help me out in making my decision.

Yes, it would be a waste. You already have enough preamp voltage and changing to a different preamp won't help anything unless it's a processor.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

The voltage isn't that big of a deal, considering almost every 80prs i have seen is clean all the way up to 62/62 volume. Adding a raw line driver you just risk adding more floor noise and not really gaining any benefit. Just my 2 cents. I don't know if the prs puts out a full 5v but really with music it's going to be all over the place anyway since music isnt a pure sine wave at 0db.

I don't know what "a true 5 volts" means. Five volts is five volts, whether it's AC or DC and whether it's a high or low current signal... it's 5 volts.

But as strangeduck mentioned, an audio waveform is not a static wave. It fluctuates in amplitude and thus, voltage. So even if the head unit you have is only capable of 4 volts max, as long as it is gain matched with the amplifiers it's driving, you will get the most out of them.

This whole notion that ten volt preamp signals somehow equates to more power or better sound quality is not true relative to the preamp voltages any modern head unit is able to deliver.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Thanks a lot that pretty much cleared that up. I currently have the morel tempo and virtus speakers in the car, it sounds pretty damn good but I guess I will have to spend a lot more time with tuning the system. gains are about have way up on the draconia and its cool to the touch. The amp puts out remarkable power and is very clean while doing it. I guess I was trying to get just a little bit more out of the system but I am very happy with it.

That head unit is a great "stand alone" setup ... No need for additional processing ...

I guess I was trying to get just a little bit more out of the system but I am very happy with it.

Focus on your Equalization, crossover points, and time alignment and you should be happy with your results ...

Sounds like you have a nice amplifier setup ... But it seems to me like you are looking for more headroom in your system ...

If thats the case, you may need to seek out a bettter amplifier setup ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Equalizations can only be setup to your ear for personal listening experience ...

RTAs are nice, but not required for personal listening ... Just start out with flat EQ and adjust accordingly to what sounds good to you ...

As far as amplifiers ... I do not recommend brand names ...

But I can tell you that My personal preference is multiple class A/B 2 channel setups ...

I'm running a pair of 2 channel amplifiers on my front stage at the moment ... That might change to 3 If I can get the work done to my truck that we have planned ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived