CleanSierra Posted October 29, 2013 Report Posted October 29, 2013 This is my first time doing any kerf work. It always seemed like a pain in the ass, but it wasn't bad at all. I made a T-line jig for the cuts and adjusted depth on my circular saw. I only used like 11 evenly spaced cuts. I think in the future I will increase that by a couple to make a smoother curve. I should have taken pictures throughout but I did not. I only have a couple of the painted product, and it's just a test piece. I have no enclosure that needs to be built currently Pics: Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
revoracing247 Posted October 29, 2013 Report Posted October 29, 2013 looks pretty dang smooth to me! lol thinking about trying kerfing again for my next box. any suggestions? ~ If it was easy, everybody would be doing it ~
audiofanaticz Posted October 29, 2013 Report Posted October 29, 2013 great job for your first time, just dont forget to reinforce the inside of the kerf (if you have not already).
CleanSierra Posted October 29, 2013 Author Report Posted October 29, 2013 Your boxes come out very nice I think. You've done kerfing before, right? How do you do it now, and we can compare Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
CleanSierra Posted October 29, 2013 Author Report Posted October 29, 2013 great job for your first time, just dont forget to reinforce the inside of the kerf (if you have not already).No worries. This was purely a test piece. I didn't waste glue on it even. I did bodyfill the back(inside) side, but didn't sand it. I wanted to see how I did with the cosmetic side first. I plan on doing a little gauge cluster with my OM-1s under my dash as a sort of center console tucked up and away. I figured I'll kerf it just a little, not a 90°, probably more like 60° so it's angled up at me. I wanted to try my hand and I REALLY like the way kerfing looks, I always have. Side note: Your box builds are on another level and I hope to get there soon Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
audiofanaticz Posted October 29, 2013 Report Posted October 29, 2013 typically, I will mix up some resin with a bunch of saw dust from my dust collector, making it a thick paste kinda like peanut butter but no where near as thick. I fill in the voids (cuts made from kerfing) with that, once cured, I go back over the entire kerf bend overlapping onto some of the wood that was not kerfed, apply normal resin, followed by fiberglass mat, resin again, and another layer of mat, followed by resin. larger kerfs i will do a couple more layers.
audiofanaticz Posted October 29, 2013 Report Posted October 29, 2013 haha thanks, my boxes are nothing special tho, just time and attention to detail anyone can do it now having them sound good takes a tad bit of extra work. lol
revoracing247 Posted October 29, 2013 Report Posted October 29, 2013 Your boxes come out very nice I think. You've done kerfing before, right? How do you do it now, and we can compare thanks man! and yeah i did one box with a lot of big kerfs for my first try lol and how i did it; made the cuts with a radial arm saw (sooo much easier then a skill saw) filled the gaps with wood glue. screwed them in place. once dried, fiberglass mat and resign inside of the kerf. once that is dried i sanded and then did body filler and then sanded that. and this is how it came out. just looking for more pointers cause i might be doing the same sort of design but for my x15 and not a small little 8" lol ~ If it was easy, everybody would be doing it ~
CleanSierra Posted October 29, 2013 Author Report Posted October 29, 2013 So resin with dust-Cure time------>resin,mat,resin,mat resin correct? I'm taking notes because this is good stuff. How many cuts do you do for the bend? Or do you base that in the radius size? And obviously body fill after the last layer of resin and mat cure. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.