Second Skin Audio

Dilemma - Recone or New Sub

Souldrop

I'm currently in a crisis at the moment. I have 2 Power HX2's 12"s that both need to be reconed due to sagging spiders and the Fosgate Pro series 15 I've been using has finally had it as far as the surround. I've currently got a T1500-BDCP amp that's sitting in the closet; I may upgrade in the future...The question is should I go ahead and recone the Fosgate HX2's through fixmyspeaker or should I just spring for a new speaker(s). I would just like to hear people's different opinions.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

You should sell me your HX2s and get new subs :P

In all seriousness, reconing those subs are worth it, regardless of your going to use them or sell them. What else would you be interested in?

P.S. If you do want to sell them, I'd honestly be interested.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Lol, Selling at least one of them has crossed my mind in the past couple months; then I pull it out of storage and am reminded how sexy these subs are and imagine them running side by side. You will be the first person I contact if I get to that point where I sell one or get lucky enough to find some locally for cheap. The issue is at the moment if I recone them both I will probably spend $400+ (waiting on a quote from fixmyspeaker) but would I be happier spending that money elsewhere? I'm not in a good area to have experienced a lot of the other companies that seem to be popular nowadays ie Fi, DC, Sundown, etc...and it seems to me that Fosgate is bashed on pretty regularly. I've always ran Fosgates and been pleased. The sad thing is I've never heard the HX2s without a saggy spider...bought both off fleabay for fairly cheap so should've known something was wrong....I guess my main question is if I'm missing out on these other brands and are they really that much better and cost effective even over a re-cone for the HX2s?

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

The Fosgates can sound fantastic. I'm running a single 15" Power RFR2215 currently and it's awesome. I've got two of them and have plans of eventually doing a blowthrough with the pair.

A 4" coil is a pretty awesome thing and your HX2s can be rebuilt to handle 1500W safely daily, maybe more. I wouldn't go TOO high on the power handling because you'll start changing the parameters of the sub and how it was MEANT to be heard. You have someone put together a recone kit that handles gobs of power, it will likely include a stiffer than stock spider pack. You'll change the T/S specs and the sub will sound different than it originally supposed to.

So you'll spend your money to either recone the subs you have, or you'll easily spend that on a comparable sub, which likely will not have that nice 4" coil. You might be able to find a nice pair of Fi SSDs or something, they'll handle 1000W daily and be a 3" coil. Sundown SAs would be a downgrade in my opinion. The X would be the next step up and comparable to your HX2. DC Level 3s or 4s would be your option with that company. You have almost 2000W of power to play with, so I'd look at subs that handle around that power.

SSA makes like a GCON which wouldn't be bad either

sell them to cleansierra, or recone. I say sell them depending on you goals. You say you wanna upgrade power later, but how much of an up grade?

I don't have any serious spl or SQ goals, I'm just looking for something to rumble my f250 when I want it to and sound decent while doing it. If I do upgrade to more power it will probably be adding another t1500 or replacing the one I have with a T2500, but that may be a while down the road after spending some more moneyz on electrical. The main reason I was looking into other brands was to try and find a single sub to handle ~2k rms. I appreciate the responses so far. I'll check out the subs you mentioned while I wait on a recone quote. Thanks!

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Do you have pics of the subs? If you are looking at subs to handle serious power, you've got AA Mayhems, SSA Zcons(or Evils),Fi SP4s(Smoove above has 2 of those in 15" models), and a few other subs for that power range. My opinion: you've got a great platform to build a badass sub, a 4" coil, and a piece of history. It's cool to me, to run old school tried and true equipment.

Also, I got quoted to recone my Power 15s from PSi and they were like $135 per. Don't quote me on that, I'd have to find the email. Fixmyspeaker is the same company as PSi. It's weird that your price quote was different than mine, or were just guessing on the recone price?

I don't have pictures at the moment, but I can take some tomorrow before work. They both are in pretty good shape and they still have concealer ring and magnet boot. I have electrical tape on the bottom to keep them from getting scratched. IIRC one does have a very small chip in the bottom of the magnet from where someone before me must've dropped them a bit harder than they intended, but doesn't seem like the magnet was shifted as the voice coil moves freely. The only issue is the spider sag which is horrible.

I had contacted fixmyspeaker a couple years ago and $135 was the price they quoted me. I would have them do it so + shipping both ways I figured ~$210. I would have reconed them sooner, but up until earlier this year I was driving a beat up toyota avalon lol. I didn't want anything drawing more attention to it than it received already :P. I have been leaning towards getting one reconed and trying it out and either reconing the other or selling it for the motor and basket. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion that was a clear cut better option. I do like the history behind the subs; It's the main reason I hunted these down and look on craigslist weekly. I love everything about the powers, but I'm not sure I have enough room to sacrifice for 2 of them and I would feel like I was wasting the potential of the T1500 BDCP by running it at 4 ohms.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Sounds like you need a single Fi BL 15, if you dont have the room. Or a DC L3. Way too many optons and recommendations with the power you have.

Yeah, that's part of my problem. I've been looking around at a lot of these subs, but it's a tough call for me as I have never personally heard any of them and don't know how they compare to the powers. If I can get the Power re-coned and tweaked to run ~1700RMS to it It's a no brainer. I'm gonna be hard pressed to find a sub in that power range for the recone price to compare. I guess I just wait to see what fixmyspeaker says.

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Archived