Second Skin Audio

difference is current 18" Fi subs?

Fuzzy336

How important is the square inches of port per cubic foot? and what's a good idea to use?

And Rockford, that's what I had heard before and that is what my current design is based off of, thanks for confirming that though.

And lastly, if I was to tune to like 30 Hz, why couldn't I just do a port like 4" x 23" x 3.5" deep(rough depth going off memory, it's close to that depth though), which would be a 30 Hz tune port for a 20 cubic foot according to the12volt calculators? Or would that truly just sound like absolute crap?

My bad if I'm asking a lot of questions, I've got a good general understanding of car audio I feel like, but I want to learn as much technical info as I can, that's for all the input everyone!

A 4X23" port is 92" of port. That's almost enough port for one sub....

You want to do a tiny port like that for 4 subs? I think you're too hung up on "nobody in my area has done 4 18s before"

4 15s with proper amount of internal volume and correct amount of port area will SHIT all over 4 18s in a tiny box with no port area. 92" isn't gonna get it done dude

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

From what I've been learning that size port won't do anything, but I was wanting to know why it wouldn't, I'm more so trying to use the rough sketch I drew up in my head to get the information as to why certain things will and won't work so I can try to design the right box, know what I mean? Or should I say, "naaameen"?

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

From what I've been learning that size port won't do anything, but I was wanting to know why it wouldn't, I'm more so trying to use the rough sketch I drew up in my head to get the information as to why certain things will and won't work so I can try to design the right box, know what I mean? Or should I say, "naaameen"?

barely any port area will just basically yield the equivalent of a sealed box that has air leaks.

if you cant pull off the general recommended 12 to 16 square inches per net cubic foot, then dont bother.

edit: x2 what cleansierra said in his last line.

think about it this way. those donk guys with 10 12's in their box chevy trunks. they cant even put up a 150 to save their lives. SHIT, some of them cant even do a 145. because each sub is seeing like fucking half a cube (well, all the flex too..). while there are people out there doing daily 150's with 2 15's, in a trunk car.

How was the general rule of thumb of 12-16 obtained? That is the sort of information I want to find out

general experience. its not a golden rule, but its a good reference.

I don't want to be one of those people, this is why I'm going question crazy, so I can try to build the system I would love to have but also make it sound great at the same time, I want to do it right. But I also want to be original, and I'm just trying to find that perfect balance

My Youtube Channel

Trying to guess the SPL of a system with out a meter is like trying to guess how much air pressure is in a compressor tank just by letting some of the air out.

...Seems like 90 psi...

barely any port area will just basically yield the equivalent of a sealed box that has air leaks.

if you cant pull off the general recommended 12 to 16 square inches per net cubic foot, then dont bother.

edit: x2 what cleansierra said in his last line.

I don't know where you heard that from, but that's not always true...hell ive ran 2 mayhem 15s with 70sq in of port and put up a 150 + did a box with 110sq in of port and didn't gain anything at my peak...did gain 1-2dbs in the high 20hz range though

2000 Suburban 6 runs of 2/0

12 timpano audio mids,6 timpana audio tweets and 1 timpano compression horn per door 

8 banks of blue Maxwells + 260ah of Yin Long LTOs 

2 370 Amp Autotech Alts 

mids amps 2  Crescendo Skyway 3ks 

Tweet amp Crossfire 2000.4

sub amp: 4 Crossfire XT 8ks

Subs: 8 18 in Crossfires in a 4th order

Best Scores at events…

161.6@38hz DBdrag  sealed on the dash… 162.54 outlaw…161.14 Meca headrest 

I don't want to be one of those people, this is why I'm going question crazy, so I can try to build the system I would love to have but also make it sound great at the same time, I want to do it right. But I also want to be original, and I'm just trying to find that perfect balance

its going to be hard as hell to do it right with your space constraints.

you can add two or so inches to the overall box height like nate said earlier, to get more space.

if you want 18's so bad, you have to make sacrifices. give up a little rear window viewing space for more box space. how do you think those guys with walls feel? lol.

Archived