Second Skin Audio

sealed to ported?

BassInMyBLood

I made my first sealed box for a friend and its not as loud as I thought it should be. more details are I made him a box that's 34"x 14"x10" and I divided the box into 2 chambers. each side has 1.1 cubic ft of air with sub out of box and there is some polyfill stuff in box as well. the box holds two 12's. one is a 12" Memphis 15-PR12s4v and the other 12" sub is a Volfenhag ZX-4712. the subs are pointed up in the box I made. and these subs and box are in a 2002 convertible mustang and they don't sound as loud as they did when they were in a slightly bigger sealed box in my car. more details he does not have a aftermarket head unit so I hooked up those high to low converters and hooked it up to his speaker. but I think that he might have a crossover hook up to his speaker because he has a 6.5 and a tweeter already in car. so since I hooked up the RCA's to the speaker would that cause it not to be that loud or is it the box I made? also since the box I made him is sealed if I look up and see the port size I need and I just add a port to it to make it louder or is that a bad idea waiting to happen? if you need more info let me know and all help is appreciated. Thanks

AQ - SQ For Life

If you wanted a ported box, you would have to build a completely new one. Simply adding a port into a sealed box wouldn't work because the cubes would more than likely be too small

FI BL18 Build Log: CLICK HERE!!

2003 Explorer Sport:

FI BL18

SoundQubed 2200 at 0.7ohm

Pioneer DEH-2500UI

Pioneer 6 x 8s

Rockford Fosgate 6 x 9s

5 ft^3 box at 35hz

Lots of Mega Mat

SkyHighCarAudio_zpse6b4e501.png3abb2365-8d29-422d-a446-efa7a74b8dba_zps70e62980.jpgFILogo_zps400b37c1.jpg

For one thing, his is a drop top and I'm assuming yours isn't? But even if both are drop tops, each car is different so you can't expect one subwoofer setup to sound the same in two different vehicles.

You also mentioned that the new box isn't the same size as the old one... there's another probability. And yes, if you tapped the crossed over input of a midbass speaker, you're not getting a full range signal to the amplifier and thus, are not going to get much bass.

You need to locate a point ahead of the crossover and tap the speaker lines there, if there even is a crossover.

As for porting a sealed box with two different subs, that's not likely to work out well. The subs you're using don't look to be well suited for ported applications and if they would work well in a ported box, I'd bet it needs to be a big one.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

getting loud in a convertible mustang is a chore man. 2 feet of dead space between the truck and the cabin because of where the top folds down.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

ok I truly do appreciate it guys. I was confused on all this so I decided to ask you guys since you all know more about car audio then I do. on a side note there a little bit of that polyfill stuff in the box should I put some more in there and only leave a little bit of space around sub? ill try to get pics, but how do I upload pics on here I have not done that before?

AQ - SQ For Life

Don't fill the box densely with it. It slows the speed of sound so that reflections take a bit longer to hit the back of the sub's piston and too much will make things worse.

And since I have no idea how much you have in the boxes or, how much needs to be in them all I can offer is that you should play with the amount until you get the best output/sound quality the system is capable of.

And you should also understand that stuffing is used to tweak a box. It can't and won't make a 1 cube box perform like a 2 cube box. It only makes minor differences.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

ok and on a side note most of my amps a switch between LPF-OFF-HPF and an amp my friend is using for the LPF it has between 40hz and 200hz. I should put it on the 40hz since its for the subs and not midrange or anything? and I know that LPF means low pass filter. don't that mean that it cuts everything out lower then 40hz?

AQ - SQ For Life

no the low pass ilter cuts out the frequencies above what you set it at. Set it to 80hz.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

Archived