Second Skin Audio

Router worth the extra $?

Souldrop

what n8 said about speed. If you're doing the same method of holding the cutting tool from a point in the middle and circling around it, I think it's the same speed to set them both up, but a router will give you a cleaner cut IMO. The jig can take a second, but honestly, who can really say it's not worth it for the clean cut?

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

what n8 said about speed. If you're doing the same method of holding the cutting tool from a point in the middle and circling around it, I think it's the same speed to set them both up, but a router will give you a cleaner cut IMO. The jig can take a second, but honestly, who can really say it's not worth it for the clean cut?

This. A router with a jig gives you PERFECT cutouts, every time. Its a few bucks up front but if you build more than two boxes in your lifetime I think it is totally worth it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

If I was new and did not own any I would buy the router. You can do so much more with a router, radius edges, straight line cuts with jig, Set up router table and dado. Routers have so many more uses then jigsaw. Check pawn shops out. I purchased a Stanley Laminate trimmer in 1981 from a pawn shop and still my favorite laminate trimmer. Stanley was bought out from Bosh in power tools. Like Rockwell is now Porter Cable.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/

th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Yeah, I went ahead and bought a router. It was a 12 amp Craftsman plunge/fixed combo on clearance for ~65 new. I know it's not a great router, but it will give me practice and do what I need it to do immediately. I can always upgrade in the future (Probably to Porter Cable as I do like their products). Thanks for all the great advice! I look forward to starting my next build with it!

1997 Lexus ES300

HU - Pioneer MVH 7350

Processor - Helix DSP

Front Stage - JBL P660C

Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4

Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12

Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1

Sounds like a good deal to me. The really money with routers ends up being in the bits so if you wear out that router or decide you want something better is no big deal to upgrade. Porter Cable make an excellent router so that would be an awesome upgrade sometime down the road.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived