Souldrop Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 I am looking into building a box soon and I was wondering how much difference does having a router make as far as cutting circles? Is it a night and day difference as far as speed and quality compared to a jigsaw or is it not worth spending the extra money on a routert. My current jigsaw crapped out last time I tried using it, so looking for a replacement tool. I don't anticipate doing a lot of woodwork in the future, except for a few sub boxes as time goes on. 1997 Lexus ES300 HU - Pioneer MVH 7350 Processor - Helix DSP Front Stage - JBL P660C Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4 Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12 Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1
tacomaguy1 Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 Once you use one you wont want to use a jigsaw ever again for circles Guess the money spent depends on how much you'll use it. Routers can be used for a lot besides just the circles. I say they're a good investment Team Flex Issues
Jd1102 Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 Just rounding over edges on outside of box makes it look a ton better to me. Just another use
ric006 Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 You will not understand till you buy one SO RUN TO THE HARDWARE STORE PS make sure you buy some extra bits
Smoove Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 Get a router. Also, my preference is having a trigger vs just an on off switch. 2 Team Fi 15's v1 2 DD M5's 970amps of Alt 6th order blowthroughThe truck Blowthrough build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155555-smooves-1996-chevy-ext-cab-c1500-slow-build/The 350z build : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/170694-smooves-2003-nissan-350z/ My FB page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smooves-Car-Audio-and-performance/719746144805343 Team Fi Audio http://www.ficaraudio.com/
Souldrop Posted November 8, 2013 Author Report Posted November 8, 2013 I just checked router bits and wow...those are expensive...for some reason I thought they would be as cheap as drill bits. 1997 Lexus ES300 HU - Pioneer MVH 7350 Processor - Helix DSP Front Stage - JBL P660C Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4 Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12 Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1
ric006 Posted November 8, 2013 Report Posted November 8, 2013 hahaha no way and if you really want to do the router right do 1/2 inch Collar so that you can pick up any kind of bit
Souldrop Posted November 8, 2013 Author Report Posted November 8, 2013 Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the router. I just needed some opinions to ease my possible buyers remorse. It seems if I ever want to build a nice box, a router will be a must have. I didn't think of them making rounding edges... 1997 Lexus ES300 HU - Pioneer MVH 7350 Processor - Helix DSP Front Stage - JBL P660C Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4 Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12 Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1
Souldrop Posted November 8, 2013 Author Report Posted November 8, 2013 Yeah, one I'm looking at has 1/2 collets. BTW any suggestions for router bit type/brand? 1997 Lexus ES300 HU - Pioneer MVH 7350 Processor - Helix DSP Front Stage - JBL P660C Mid/high amp - Alpine PDX-F4 Subs - 1 IA Death Penalty 12 Sub Amp - Cactus Sounds PF300.1
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.