Second Skin Audio

Can Box Burn Coil?

gattiboy13

Probably depends on what you consider "a bit off" to be, how much power you are putting to it, and what kind of box it is.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I have a Sundown X series 10" (single) in this box - 23" Width 12" Depth 15" Height and port is 12"3/4 Height 4" width and top of port opening is 1".5x10".5 This is supposed to be tuned to 37HZ and 1.4CB? I am having issues with my sub heating and starting to smell coil slightly. My amp is the Pioneer 9601 rated at 1200RMS@1OHM and its very efficient, battery 1,000 cranking amps. Can someone help me figure if its my box or...?

I have a Sundown X series 10" (single) in this box - 23" Width 12" Depth 15" Height and port is 12"3/4 Height 4" width and top of port opening is 1".5x10".5 This is supposed to be tuned to 37HZ and 1.4CB? I am having issues with my sub heating and starting to smell coil slightly. My amp is the Pioneer 9601 rated at 1200RMS@1OHM and its very efficient, battery 1,000 cranking amps. Can someone help me figure if its my box or...?

I love sundown subs, but you are not the first i hear of having this issue with the X sub. On the other hand ive had alot of new subs give off that smell at first, and then never have a problem with them. Just a thought are you useing the proper wire gauge?

truthsayer

I love sundown subs, but you are not the first i hear of having this issue with the X sub. On the other hand ive had alot of new subs give off that smell at first, and then never have a problem with them. Just a thought are you useing the proper wire gauge?

4 Guage wiring from battery to amp by scosche. And 12 Guage from amp to speaker.

How did you set the gain on your amp? You could be clipping.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

How did you set the gain on your amp? You could be clipping.

One nice thing on the 9601 amp. You know if it clips. because it has the built in feature so any distortion detected will make the amp cut out. But OP you probably already know that.

truthsayer

Archived