Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA12 Box Design HELP

BRAND OF SUBWOOFER: SUNDOWN

MODEL: SA-12

IMPEDANCE : DUAL 4ohm

RMS RATING: 600RMS

got a pair of 12s and looking to get a box design for 1 12" or 2 12" that would make the subs perform to their best of their ability

any help would be appreciated

what volume (cuft) should i build my enclosure as well as what should the port be tuned to

thanks

If Sundown's predesigned stuff won't work out for you just let us know and I'll help you design something that will.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

If Sundown's predesigned stuff won't work out for you just let us know and I'll help you design something that will.

already downloaded the box specs from sundown but 2cuft seems to be small for such a subwoofer

from my experience manufactures recommend specs example pioneer have box specs on their manual.. however manufacturer specs vs custom boxes is a huge difference in performance.. i had a 12" pioneer in a 2.75cuft box after port and sub displacement and that sounded alot better/ louder and cleaner than the manufacturer specs box.. same with t3 audio t600 sub

so i wondering if sundown manufacturer box specs would be the same meaning if a custom box would perform alot better and louder than their manufacturer specs

reason im asking because i dont want to waste money, time and effort to build a manufacturer enclosure when a custom enclosure would perform better

so all help would be better

So the thing with ported enclosures you have to remember is bigger doesn't necessarily mean better, it just means different. As a ported box gets bigger it produces more output around its tuning frequency. Here is a chart below using your SA-12 sub in three different boxes. The red line is in a 1.5 cube box, the yellow is a 2.0 cu ft box, and the yellow is in a 3.0 cu ft box. All three are tuned to Sundown's recommended 35 Hz.

winisd-sa-12_zps015810f4.png

As can see the bigger the box the more gain you get. Now after you add in cabin gain all of those boxes are going to have a huge peak in their response around 35 Hz, which would make them sound really boomy, with obviously the largest box being the most extreme. Some people like that kind of sound and depending on the type of music you listen to and your personal tastes you might too, I however don't like it so much so I work to try and flatten it out a bit. This is why I typically like to tune lower than 35 Hz and tend towards smaller boxes.

One area where I do feel like you can really improve on a lot of factory designs is port area. Factory designs (some, not all) tend to have too small of port/ports for my taste and it doesn't do the speaker any favors. This could be one area where you could improve on the factory design.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

so this is the dimensions i have to work with

38" (width) * 20" (high) * 20" (depth)

looking for 2 boxes.. one for each 12" and maybe a plan for the 2 12" in one box

all help would be greatly appeciated

if the dimensions i have to work with is to big.. you could vary the depth of the box to small to get the required volume

thanks alot in advance

Hows this look?

DualVentedSA-12_zpsf17d3580.png

2 cu. ft. per driver, tuned to 30 Hz, 64.75 sq. in. of port area.

Builds:

Archived