2010 Mazda 3

*Rebuild Time*

Subs - (2) AA Mayhems 12's
Sub amp - (1) Populus Audio TPA 6500
Headunit - Pioneer App Radio 2

Batteries - XS Power (1) D3100 up front | 6 XP950 rear

Wire - Sky High 1/0 Gauge wires and RCA's and steve's VM1

Alternator - Singer 260 Externally Regulated

Front Stage: (2) PRV Audio 10W650A (4) PRV Audio 8MR500-PhP-4 (4) DS Bullet Tweets | (2) 6.5 Components (Rear doors)

Mids & high Amp : (2) Populus Audio 100.4

Processor: Rockford 3sixty.3

The Build Log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/175922-2010-mazda-3-2-aa-mayhems-12-pg14-new-video/page-11

flakosignature1-1_zps0751010a.png

So finished the head unit part of the install. Had to do some modifications to the interior of the radio mounting area to make it work. Not sure if it was my head unit specifically that wouldn't fit directly being a 7" double din or if its all non oem head units in the challenger. I'm willing to bet similar model vehicles like the charger and 300 have an almost identical looking opening like this so this information might come in handy for others with mopar vehicles…

There are four protrusions of plastic around the edges (2 at the top and 2 at the bottom) that you MUST remove to make a different HU fit. These are like resting mounts for the stock HU but I don't think they're completely necessary if you want to go back to stock, they simply add support. Theres no way around it as far as I can tell (maybe with a single din this won't be necessary). Anyways out came to dremel tool and some grinding.

You can see part of one of the top "protrusion". The bottom two are under that rag.

20131111_114350.jpg

20131111_124952.jpg

Testing out the PAC harness to make everything works correctly. Took a little trouble shooting.

20131110_234718.jpg

20131111_160328.jpg

Was still a tight fit around the edges putting it in, but it did fit. Only thing that slightly bothers me is that it is a tad off center, with a slightly larger gap between the mounting bracket and the bezel on the passenger side than the driver side. Also on a less aesthetic note, the head unit is so tight in relation to the top and bottom edge of the bezel that the screen can't fully open to insert discs. While I don't really listen to discs this still bothers me that it is causing problems. Not exactly sure how go about addressing either issues so if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Secondly, there is a tad bit of white noise produced. Its noticeable with the music paused and the volume up, it might be related to the ground between the Pioneer harness and PAC harness as they are just spliced together and not actually grounded to a surface.

As far as the performance of the AVH-X4500BT…WOW.

Definitely exceeded my expectations. Completely opened up the factory boston acoustic system a ton. The speakers have quite a lot more tonal range with crisper sounds at higher volumes with much less distortion at those levels. Even without messing with the graphic equalizer it sounded so good. The mid bass was also amplified tremendously. The 6x9s in the doors are primarily dedicated to the mid bass and I saw definite improvement. The factory 8" rear deck "sub"…ummm… well lets just say I unplugged it because its poopoo and only good at producing rattle. So glad I went with a more expensive pioneer model with 4v preamp than a lower model with 2v, definitely think that had huge benefits. From the interface standpoint I love pioneer touch screens. They're really customizable and how you can search for your music is really easy versus some more overly complicated units. Overall very impressed by this unit and recommend it.

09 Challenger R/T (Audio system under construction):

• Pioneer AVH-X4500BT (PAC RP4CH11 harness)
  • (2) Sundown Audio SA-8v2 (inverted)
  • CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • 40 sq ft. Audiotechnix deadener
  • 1/0 Audiotechnix wiring
  • stock Boston Acoustic 7 speaker amplified system (for now)
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/

TEAM GOAT

signature-1.jpgsubsignature.jpg

Just as a couple of suggestions:

I think you hit it on the head when you said your ground isn't grounded to the surface, but just spliced in. Sometimes that's all it takes to introduce noise. There may be another solution as well, but sometimes it's just that simple. Also, did you set it with the DD-1? You may be over the clipping limits and that may be why you hear the noise.

As far as aesthetics go, if it were me, I'd make my own brackets, center it where it needs to be, and then eliminate the side plastic pieces and duraglass the area in and around the outer edge of the unit. Tape the unit up and then put the trim panel back in, that way you can get it all glassed up while in place and it's perfectly where it needs to be. Then you can paint it when it's sanded down, or use carbon fiber vinyl, or whatever else you want to do to it. Hope that makes sense. It'll really dress up that area. I agree that kit looks bad. Might even fix your issue with putting cd's in too.

Keep up the good work!

Just as a couple of suggestions:

I think you hit it on the head when you said your ground isn't grounded to the surface, but just spliced in. Sometimes that's all it takes to introduce noise. There may be another solution as well, but sometimes it's just that simple. Also, did you set it with the DD-1? You may be over the clipping limits and that may be why you hear the noise.

As far as aesthetics go, if it were me, I'd make my own brackets, center it where it needs to be, and then eliminate the side plastic pieces and duraglass the area in and around the outer edge of the unit. Tape the unit up and then put the trim panel back in, that way you can get it all glassed up while in place and it's perfectly where it needs to be. Then you can paint it when it's sanded down, or use carbon fiber vinyl, or whatever else you want to do to it. Hope that makes sense. It'll really dress up that area. I agree that kit looks bad. Might even fix your issue with putting cd's in too.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, well I just went the route of splicing the ground because from my understanding it runs: Pioneer ground wire > PAC ground wire > CANbus system ground wire and where ever that ground location might be. That being said, I don't know how good that factory ground actually is so perhaps grounding the spliced wires themselves might solve the problem. Other than playing with the equalizer and high pass filter on the head unit I haven't done any amp tuning to the factory amp because its location makes it a pain to access and Im not even positive that adjustments can be made to it. Maybe its a dumb question, but is it even possible for a speaker to clip with the volume turned up and no audio signal actually being sent to it? Im sure the white noise is still there when the music is playing but its simply being covered up.

As far as the trim goes, well Ill see what adjustments can be made when i pull the head unit to do the ground. I really wouldn't want to have to trim the horizontal edges of the radio/AC bezel to make for clearance of the screen movement but that might be the only other option besides making a custom mount like you suggested.

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/

TEAM GOAT

Hey man its looking good so far. Mopar goodness right there!!!

I have an 08 Chrysler 300 that has an identical layout as yours. Which has a current build pretty much exactly how your describing. So I figured i'd give you a few tips from my experience with my current build.

I can't speak much on the double din because I have a single din... But from what I've read most usually buy a stock navigation bezel and just replace theirs with it. As for the feedback your receiving IIRC mine did this as well. I had the pac interface to keep the factory Bose system but it caused the same issue as well as limits you output quite a bit. I ditched all the factory gear but kept the pac steering wheel controls. The factory system couldn't keep up vocally with the bass of the the aftermarket sub.... SO I replaced them with aftermarket pioneers. The improvement was dramatic and well worth it.

As far as how to make the box due to the slant. Make a "mini wall" (blow through) and then simply just attach that to you box. Once that's done you can use some 2x4's cut at an angle.... That way its all at an angle but when you look from the trunk everything will look like its straight 90's. I don't want to clutter up your build log with pictures of my ride.... So if your in need of example of what Im trying to explain.. Eye ball my thread which is in my signature. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like man.

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

Hey man its looking good so far. Mopar goodness right there!!!

I have an 08 Chrysler 300 that has an identical layout as yours. Which has a current build pretty much exactly how your describing. So I figured i'd give you a few tips from my experience with my current build.

I can't speak much on the double din because I have a single din... But from what I've read most usually buy a stock navigation bezel and just replace theirs with it. As for the feedback your receiving IIRC mine did this as well. I had the pac interface to keep the factory Bose system but it caused the same issue as well as limits you output quite a bit. I ditched all the factory gear but kept the pac steering wheel controls. The factory system couldn't keep up vocally with the bass of the the aftermarket sub.... SO I replaced them with aftermarket pioneers. The improvement was dramatic and well worth it.

As far as how to make the box due to the slant. Make a "mini wall" (blow through) and then simply just attach that to you box. Once that's done you can use some 2x4's cut at an angle.... That way its all at an angle but when you look from the trunk everything will look like its straight 90's. I don't want to clutter up your build log with pictures of my ride.... So if your in need of example of what Im trying to explain.. Eye ball my thread which is in my signature. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like man.

Thanks! well with the box I'm planning on mine having a false backing to make it look pretty but the front side (in the cabin) the most challenging part. Im thinking of using a board mounted down horizontally with a piece mounted vertically at the edge to make a false "floor" that is exactly level. The box would be built on top of that and the face of the box would actually be kind of recessed to the opening dividing the cabin and trunk. I saw this box setup on a thread and this is what I'm referring to: 20131112_211101.jpg

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

TEAM GOAT

Ah ok, well I was talking about something simalar but either one would work. How I made mine, it hugs the sides of the box and is secured to the box. Notice the angle on the edges of the box compared to the wall. (Smaller up top than on the bottom). Mines only a single 10" but you get the idea.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/SojiaRaggs9000/photo9.jpg

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

Love the ride!!!

Thanks!

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

TEAM GOAT

So haven't made too much progress with finals coming up and graduation right around the corner now. Couldn't resist the urge to have a little bass for now and ghetto wired up my old Memphis Mojo M3 15 to the CT Sounds amp. This thing sounded awesome when it sat on the backseat of my truck from time to time but the bass response is absolutely horrible in the trunk. Cant wait to see how those 8s in a sealed trunk setup will compare.

20131118_155728.jpg

While I can't start any construction I did take a bunch of rough measurements for my design plan. Wont have a better idea until I can make a fake setup with cardboard though. But heres the sketch I did.

20131125_220824.jpg

The box dimensions have changed from what they were to be a little wider and have a tune of 35 Hz instead of 33 but I haven't gotten far as to what it will be.

Thoughts?

Also As far as box design goes… at the moment I'm leaning to a port on the driver side. What are the advantages of this versus a center port, and as far as where I arrange the dimensions… How would the bass be affected by a shallow in depth box but wide and short versus deep and narrower in width, etc.?

• CT Sounds AT1400.1D
  • XS Power D3400
  • Sealed trunk enclosure

Build log:

TEAM GOAT

Archived