XS Power

I am stumped by this thing. I dont want to make a new thread, so, I figured that I could just ask here. Why wouldnt the alternators internal regulator cause it to be able to do exactly what the vcm does and "lock it at 14.8" we have one in our demo van because the alternator (dc 320spxi) did not seem to charge very well. Like it would charge at like 13.8 or so and stay that way when it was warm. Now, we have the vcm in it and we can get it to constantly charge at 14.8. Why doesnt the internal regulator already do that? And when does the limit of the alternator get reached when you have a vcm? I know you cant power a 20000 watt system with 1 alt, but in theory, couldnt you just continue to bump up the voltage on the vcm to be able to maintain a 14+ volt charge to the batteries? Would the alt just fry itself in that case? If anyone could shed some light on this subject for me, i would apprecuate it!

Bumpin,

Great vid.

Ill have to see what mine does. I just dont want it way over when cold, or way under when hot.

There is no way to set and forget. Since it works with your stock voltage regulator it is all temperature dependent. So I have mine set at 13.8 on vcm warm and it is 15 cold. So once car warms up I leave it in adjustable mode and turn it up as engine warms up. In summer it will be more stable but in winter I have to keep it down for the set voltage so car doesn't start at 16.2+ and ruin something. Kinda sucks. Wish they had preset buttons on it. That would be nice.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

well guys i finally emailed the man mike and this is what he had to say :)

Hello Jake

this is not strange behavior at all actually, it is some innovations that have been made with the voltage regulators. Some of the newer internal regulators in certain alternators I have built act this exactly same way. Basically the VCM is designed to make the alternator compensate when a load is detected on the alternator by pulling voltage up. This feature is basically designed to boost alternator performance and response to any load that hits the alternator (to produce more power to compensate)

Voltage is just a messaging system for the alternator to make power basically, every regulator will act differently in terms of what I like to refer as "refresh rate"
some jump higher then their set point by a few tenths to as much as a half volt higher to compensate.
This my friend is a sign of a very good installation also :)
Good work on that end by the way!

1995 Blazer lt 4dr

2 t1d412s

1 t2500.1bd

4 polk audio door speakers

2 dash speakers(coming soon)

1 amp to run my mids and highs(coming soon)