Jump to content

Pro Audio on Amp alone


TrakTuned

Recommended Posts

Posted

So as I have heard a lot of people say, pro audio is not recommended without some sound processing. Why not? Can I take some PA mids and some tweets and throw in some crossovers (blown component set) I have on hand?

New truck, new build, NO MONEY. Im looking for loud and clean on a budget.

Loving the crescendo pwx at this point FYI

Thanks for the help fellas :rockwoot:

Posted

A lot of pro audio speakers have a bite to them. It has a lot to do with their efficiency, cone material, T/S parameters. You can run them without processing but some of them might be harsh. Super-tweeters and horns especially. It's a trade off for those awesome dynamics and realism, not to mention the sheer volume. Every speaker; pro audio or not, has it's own characteristics both good and bad. We use processing to maximize the quality of sound. If I had a typical 3 way instead of pro audio gear I would still want the ability to tweak it to my vehicle. The x-overs may or may not work depending on the x-over points and slopes. I wouldn't recommend doing it without doing some research first.

What is your budget? How much amplifier power do you have?

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

I plan on replacing my amp, I have a Vibe Death Box rated to "125rms" so who knows how much power....

Budget is whatever it costs to get what I need, If it costs too much I'll have to return to some components. You get me? It all depends.

So the passive component crossovers arent an adequate bandaide?

You will laugh but I am coming from Illusion audio 6.5's and they are too mellow. I also couldnt keep from blowing the tweets. Maybe cheap amp distorting them, with the crossover being too lenient. Havent put them in the truck but in the car they were soft, even with the Cu Be tweets pointing at my face.

Posted

It's not that the x-overs won't work. It's that they were designed for those speakers. If the illusion audio comps cross at ~2k and you wire a supertweeter to it that needs to cross at 5k or higher it will damage it. You could always go active if the amp has built in x-overs or go with some nendo's that come with their own passive's. I am sure there are a few people on the board that run them and they will chime in. I don't know much about them. I run selenium and Eminence. :)

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

PA stuff is made for PA stuff in wide open spaces. Someone I know with a whole bunch of PA gear says it sounds rubbish inside but outside or in halls and stuff it's great. Why use PA for car audio?

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Posted

PA stuff is made for PA stuff in wide open spaces. Someone I know with a whole bunch of PA gear says it sounds rubbish inside but outside or in halls and stuff it's great. Why use PA for car audio?

It sounds awesome when tuned right. I run a 12" fullrange in my doors and they sound great. Alot of the demo vehicles with 20 speakers per door just get loud. If the system had some decent dsp there is no reason it can't sound good.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

the crescendo pwx line actually sound good.. they sound better then other PA speakers. they get loud too with just 100rms.. you can run them without the crossovers and use the ones on the amp.. if you get some super tweeters from crescendo you can wire them to the H/U they dont need lots of power to get loud.. just make sure you get the crossovers for them which cost $8-$10 per side

Posted

PA stuff is made for PA stuff in wide open spaces. Someone I know with a whole bunch of PA gear says it sounds rubbish inside but outside or in halls and stuff it's great. Why use PA for car audio?

It sounds awesome when tuned right. I run a 12" fullrange in my doors and they sound great. Alot of the demo vehicles with 20 speakers per door just get loud. If the system had some decent dsp there is no reason it can't sound good.

that's kinda like using something for a job it's not made for and making it work :P it's easier to use equipment made for the job then you don't have to use a ton of eq on it. But if you got it working well and you're happy with it then good on you :)

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1416 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...