Best Leveling option for '06 Duramax

I'm looking to raise the front end of my truck to level the truck out (no need for a lift, truck is plenty high enough for most clearances), some say crank the stock torsion bars, some say get new torsion keys, and I've also been told to get keys with new shocks...I don't care to put some money down for a better way, but money isn't in huge abundance. What do you all think? I just need around a 2-2.5" lift to bring it up even.

1382337_10153410675925512_829465240_n.jp

POTATO!

Do it right and get coils and shocks. You can do coil spacers but they make for a rough ride especially in a 3/4 ton truck. Cranking the torsion bars is kinda what you use to just get the extra clearance after its lifted and you need the little extra, kind of a last resort deal. Everyone on heres going to tell you crank the torsions I can already tell you because its cheap and easy, but cheap and easy isnt always best. Coils and shocks arent too bad priced if youre not going for carli or one up offroad.

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

Do it right and get coils and shocks. You can do coil spacers but they make for a rough ride especially in a 3/4 ton truck. Cranking the torsion bars is kinda what you use to just get the extra clearance after its lifted and you need the little extra, kind of a last resort deal. Everyone on heres going to tell you crank the torsions I can already tell you because its cheap and easy, but cheap and easy isnt always best. Coils and shocks arent too bad priced if youre not going for carli or one up offroad.

That's all I've heard is torsion bars, but that was done to my old truck, and it was definitely noticeable. With this truck I want to do everything the right way. Problem is I haven't found any coil kits, just extended shocks.

POTATO!

• 1 month later...

Id go wirh the keys, I cranked the shit out of mine worst decision ive made with the truck, now I have to replace my bars

2003 silverado TEAM DC

Pioneer Avh 5500

4 DC lvl 5 18s

12 crescendo pwx 6.5s

4 crescendo ft1 tweets

6xs d3400s

Singer 400 alt

Skyhigh ofc wires

Skyhigh speaker wires

Smd vm1

2 DC 175.4

DC 10k

bottom-1_zps841868a8.gif

biggains_smd05_01_zpsmzshwldk.jpg

biggains_smd05_02_zpskjra9f1e.jpg

biggains_smd05_03_zpsncvjgng9.jpg

biggains_smd05_04_zpsr7ddubta.jpg

Did torsion bars on my truck. If you go too far your torsion bars will work against your upper ball joints.

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

Did torsion bars on my truck. If you go too far your torsion bars will work against your upper ball joints.

I think I'll do the keys and Bilstein shocks. I think I need shocks anyways..

POTATO!

If you can get the front where you want it with the stock keys there is no point in spending the money on different ones. This is coming from someone who sells and installs this stuff for a living.

To get the front to a certain height requires the rear of the torsion bar to be clocked a certain way--no matter if the key is stock or not. The only difference in changing keys is 1) more adjustment and 2) how much of the adjustment bolt is sticking out at a certain ride height.

But yeah, do the shocks.

Static drops are my bag.

If you can get the front where you want it with the stock keys there is no point in spending the money on different ones. This is coming from someone who sells and installs this stuff for a living.

To get the front to a certain height requires the rear of the torsion bar to be clocked a certain way--no matter if the key is stock or not. The only difference in changing keys is 1) more adjustment and 2) how much of the adjustment bolt is sticking out at a certain ride height.

But yeah, do the shocks.

So just crank the stock keys and get shocks, and I should be OK? I know it will cause a little more wear/tear on the front, hopefully not much though. I've looked at the Bilstein 5100 shocks, lot of reviews say they're great, but I guess I'll need the extended shocks on the front since it's coming up from stock position.

POTATO!

Archived