Sundown Audio

How To Find Out Actual Amp Power

P = Power (wattage)

P = work/time

P = IxV (current x voltage)

P = V2/R (voltage squared over resistance in ohms)

V = IR (Voltage = Current x Resistance - Ohm's Law)

Therefore, use a Voltmeter or preferrably a Multimeter and get the output voltage. Square that, then divide by the load impedance (resistance). You now have the power at the ouput terminal.

If the amplifier is either a high output or high current design, please ensure that the multimeter is fused to prevent damage.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

The only way to know the actual power output is to bench the amplifier. You must clamp the + output to read AC amperage and use a dmm to read the output in AC voltage. Multiply those two #s together and you have your actual output in watts. Divide them for your actual impedance after rise. You can also clamp the input + for amperage & voltage then use those to figure actual efficiency. Simple volts x max rated amperage doesn't work or even come close. Voltage isn't constant and fuse ratings are just ratings. You must clamp it to know the actual current draw cause it doesn't always = the max rated draw. Also when using the input #s to estimate you must divide by efficiency which is different with every manufacturer. Class D amplifiers usually run 65-70% efficiency.

As a general rule, I multiply the fuse rating by 10 to get the actual power output and its extremely close. An RF T1k has a 150a fuse rating and the ones I've tested have done around 1500watts. My Sundowns have a 160a fuse rating and they easily do 1600watts.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

The only way to know the actual power output is to bench the amplifier. You must clamp the + output to read AC amperage and use a dmm to read the output in AC voltage. Multiply those two #s together and you have your actual output in watts. Divide them for your actual impedance after rise. You can also clamp the input + for amperage & voltage then use those to figure actual efficiency. Simple volts x max rated amperage doesn't work or even come close. Voltage isn't constant and fuse ratings are just ratings. You must clamp it to know the actual current draw cause it doesn't always = the max rated draw. Also when using the input #s to estimate you must divide by efficiency which is different with every manufacturer. Class D amplifiers usually run 65-70% efficiency.

As a general rule, I multiply the fuse rating by 10 to get the actual power output and its extremely close. An RF T1k has a 150a fuse rating and the ones I've tested have done around 1500watts. My Sundowns have a 160a fuse rating and they easily do 1600watts.

if thats tru then the power acoustik will only do 1200 watts, it has 5 30 amp fuses.... =\

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

if thats tru then the power acoustik will only do 1200 watts, it has 5 30 amp fuses.... =\

5 x 30 x 10 = 1500. Its just a general rule I go by. Which model is that and what is it rated? The PA amps are known for being a little over-rated just like the Hifonics Brutus. The bxi2006 has a rated current draw of 169amps yet claims 2000watts. I've used one of these and it only does around 1600watts.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

5 x 30 x 10 = 1500. Its just a general rule I go by. Which model is that and what is it rated? The PA amps are known for being a little over-rated just like the Hifonics Brutus. The bxi2006 has a rated current draw of 169amps yet claims 2000watts. I've used one of these and it only does around 1600watts.

its the 5500 mono, it does 3200 rms at 1 ohm, it claims

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg

what if they tried messing with the amps when the subs werent louder :ehh: hahah jk :pardon:

3200watts w/ only 150a current draw?!? :blink: Must be on a 20v system. Seriosuly, that amp would have to be 200% efficient with absolutely no voltage drop.

ok so the face says the amp blows.... for around that price what can i get that gives enuf power to 2 dc lvl 4 15"s... im gonna start competing, so its gotta give them power...

dont wanna drop to much, id like to stay like under 350 bucks (i kno its not much, but its all i have now)

My F-150 Build

GET ON THE BANDWAGON

loganberry44.gif

DSC01482-1-1.jpg