Second Skin Audio

Zv4 15 Box Build- 1st Ported Box on Paper

Mike R

I am going to be picking up a Zv4 15 in the next few weeks and I am trying to get a box ready for the Impala. I have previously built only sealed boxes.

The max dimensions I have to work with because of stuff I have to transport are 35x22x16.

I have been playing with Torres Tuning Calculator and I have come up with 28x21x16, with a port that is 14.5 high, 2.5 wide, and 25 inches long. I am trying to soak up everything I can right now about box design, but I am becoming more and more convinced that I don't know anything about ported enclosures! This would give me 3.44 ft^3 net and tuning around 31 hz as far as I can tell. I know that sub can move some air but I don't know if my port will be big enough. I could go bigger but after reading about the Zv4s it seems like they can handle more power in a smaller box- my max dimensions would give me 5.75 cubes so its not really much of a space issue. Planning on about 2300 watts of clean power for it.

I am really looking for the setup to be good for music, I have been enjoying Decaf in addition to the reggaeton/metal/house music I listened to before. This will never be used for competition or anything like that.

Thanks in advance for your comments, suggestions, confirmation, etc! I am hoping to start the box on Saturday.

3.44 net is too small for a pair of 15s

Even the 5.75 is pushing it

Pair of 12s might be better

I believe by the OP's post, he is getting one (1) zv4-15'' sub and not two. Well seems we posted at the same time.

truthsayer

I don't think you have nearly enough port area. I'd shoot for at least 60 sq. in. and 75 would probably be better.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thank you for the feedback! I am playing with the calculator again, trying to get up to 75 sq inches of port, 14.5x5 gets me close but unless I am not understanding something I would need to get the box up to 6 cubes to get it down to only 35 hz. Am I missing something?

Ok so I went out and looked at what I have to work with and I could give up a bit more space. Who needs to fit things in the trunk anyway? Actually what I think was limiting me was the height. I was looking at a height I could get in and out easy and that would clear the factory amp. Now I will probably pull the factory amp and relocate it. 18.5 would just about touch the bottom of my rear deck speaker magnets.

New idea is 18.5x35x21. Gives me 6.4 gross, 4.4 net, and a 17x4x35 port gives me 31.5 hz and 68" of port area, 15sqin of port per cube. That would basically mean I would have to fire forward and seal off the box from the trunk as well, as it would almost be sealed in that configuration. That seems huge. Other people talk about 3.5 cubes for a 15, I just don't see how without a very high frequency or a small port.

Sorry for 3 posts in a row, but I just heard back from Bryan at Sundown with recommended parameters for this particular sub.

He recommended 56" sqin of port area and a 4 cubic foot net box tuned to 30 hz.

17.5x35x20 with a port dimensions of 16x3.5x35 should get me 4.01 cubes net and 30.22 hz.

I think I will go with this due to how it will fit in the Impala unless there is a reason something closer to a cube would be preferred. 17.5x29x24 would also get me to 4 cubes.

I am hoping to run this box facing forward and sealing it off from the trunk. With the dimensions I need there would be very little clearance around the box. Going to the second, more cube like option seems like it would be better for sub and port facing rear, but I don't know that. If I do make it fire foreward how much clearance does it need between the seats and the face of the box?

Archived