Second Skin Audio

opinions needed

saltylake

I currently have 2 jbl cs1214's in a sealed box 1 cu.ft each chamber powered by an alpine mrp-500 in my single cab s10, it plays loud enough to were it tickles your ear drums and i can play down to 32hz but not loud as compared to 38hz. Now the thing is i can play down to 32hz but it just dosent sound right, maybe it's beacause it's a sealed box? i dont know. now i've been thinking of doing a decent 10" sub in a ported box to give me the lows i want i just dont know if it will be loud enough, a sub that could take 500 wrms and have a mounting depth of max 6 inches. I've narrowed down to the sundown sd-2 10", what would you guys do keep the current stuff or do the ported 10" sub?

I'm leaning towards to the ported box at the moment i just want to hit 30-40hz nice and loud if possible.

When it comes to a sealed box I believe this is how it goes (i could be wrong though), you're really going to be getting your best out of the sub at its Fs point. Meaning itll more than likely be its loudest at that point in a sealed box. Now as for being loud in a ported box with what you're looking at doing will require that your box is built correctly and you then factor in box rise, the resonant frequency of the vehicle, and the power and sub combo you'll be using. But for the most part Id say go ported. Tune the box in between 32 - 34 Hz.. Most will say 32 if you want more lows than highs but Id say with a well built box, proper power being supplied to the amp, and setting gains and Xovers correctly a box tuned to 34Hz will give you the best results. But then again this all depends on what you'll be using for amp, subs, and box dimensions etc etc. So long story short.... Build a good box, ported, tuned to 32-34 Hz, give the sub proper breathing room (port area), and set your gains and amp settings correctly and you should have a pretty decent setup for what you're looking for.

I plan on tuning to 34hz with plenty of port, sundown recommends 1 cu.ft for a ported box I plan on 1.3-1.5 cu.ft since Im giving it 500 watts. Should take it no problem, gonna tune it with a dd-1

Bigger isn't necessarily better when it comes to ported boxes.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

i have same vehicle, the biggest internal volume i can get with 1/2" mdf, top,bottom,sides and fiberglass front, mdf ring is .8ft3 after sub and port displacement. tune? 42? or so for the port to fit Inside. i have found that with some polyfill 350 watts is my max rms power for the shape. i havent done 2 small ports yet. oh i have the emergency jack back there too

03 s-10 owned since 35k now 150k

alpine type-s 6.5 comp

alpine type-e 10 ported fiberglass

jl 300/4 (dead)

jl500/1 (dead)

Archived