Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

New guy from Chile, need help with port :(


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everybody, my name is Antonio, I'm from Chile and will give you some info about my car and setup before I ask for my specfic problem.

I have a 2008 Hyundai Azera and here goes the list:

HU: Pioneer FH-X700BT
EQ: NVX XEQ7
Front stage components: Infinity kappa 60.9CS
Sub: Skar audio IVX-15v2 D2 (sealed)
Front stage and sub amp: NVX JAD800.4
Speaker wire: Knukonceptz 12 gauge OFC
Power wire: Knukonceptz "4" gauge CCA
RCAs: NVX X-series

I've installed all by myself so I'm very proud for that lol.

some pics:

IMAG0415_zps6f237824.jpg

IMAG0377_zps1814efd2.jpg

IMAG0378_zps9fb6f228.jpg

IMAG0379_zps7992e4f9.jpg

IMAG0380_zps35f81c58.jpg

IMAG0456_zps017a9833.jpg

subbox_zps16a1b71b.jpg

IMAG0458_zps67861f61.jpg

IMAG0459_zps8b809efb.jpg

IMAG0462_zpse200258e.jpg

I designed this wedge box my self, It's 3.1 Cubic feet before displacement (skar recommends 1.25-2 for sealed, 2-3 for ported)

As I'm using the sub with a sealed enclosure (which sounds very good btw) I would like to try to port the box because I have the internal volume to try this.

now here are my questions.

Do I have to put the port looking at the same direction as the sub?? or can I port it on the top (I'd cut the metal sheet of the package tray and made a big rectangule, will upload pictures of that soon)

I'm not sure if using a round port or a vent (rectangular), which one you guys recommend?

and last, how do I calculate the port?? I listen a lot of decaf and rap, but also any kind of music, I think I want a tune of 29hz to get as low as possible.

That's all by the time, I hope to participate a lot in this community and any response will be appreciated.

P.D. sorry for my bad english.

Thanks!

Posted

If it was mine I would port straight on top and see if you can run them into back deck. Aerosols ports or a square port would work. Do you have room to port through the rear deck? If not L. shape coming out the back firing into trunk. Nice looking ride so far. Keep it up.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Posted

Usually you do a side aero in those slanted boxes (a 6" aero for that sub), but you could use an elbow to mount it on the baffle, unhappily the port will take up internal space.

A ported box needs to be fully designed before building of stuff like this happens.

Posted

Hi again, thanks for respond =)

here some pics

IMAG0466_zps3a8233c5.jpg

IMAG0469_zps48637146.jpg

IMAG0479_zps9534ea59.jpg

IMAG0482_zps38d9d8f9.jpg

Sintiacutetulo2_zps3510822f.jpg

This is what I would like to do. a 6" tube will fit, but not the lenght... at least winISD tells me that I need like 25 inches of lenght to get 29hz tune...

Which is the smallest diameter I can use to avoid port noise??

thanks guys!

Posted

Don't worry, a 5" would be awesome because I have the exact lenght as I want with that diameter.

Do you know how double ports works? because if there're benefits of doing a dual port I would like to do that because I would make a more symmetrical box.

thanks!

Posted

I would post the external dimensions of your box. Then someone can figure out how much room internally you have to sacrifice for port dispacement. Once that is figured out we can say how much port should be external and how much should be internal.

Posted

Ok this is what I've got: 3.1 cubes net @ 29Hz total port length would be 41.75 cm 15 cm external. If by any chance you get the 5" PVC you will need to flare it, if you go over rated power you will probably experience some port noise as port area is critically low. Porting through the rear deck is not a really good practice though so be advised, you may almost end up listening at the port output only.

Posted

Ok this is what I've got: 3.1 cubes net @ 29Hz total port length would be 41.75 cm 15 cm external. If by any chance you get the 5" PVC you will need to flare it, if you go over rated power you will probably experience some port noise as port area is critically low. Porting through the rear deck is not a really good practice though so be advised, you may almost end up listening at the port output only.

ohh I see... what you guys recommend? should I just do a port facing the same direction as the sub? or should I keep it sealed? I really like lows like 20-30 hz because it shakes my car a lot. with a ported box you loose that? I mean the "massage chair" effect as I call it

here's the chart of winISD... Sealed and Ported, same volume and ported with a 29hz tune.

Dibujo_zps6167f797.png

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3203 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...