what is HeadRoom?

rickybobby

I see you lurking Cableguy.

I am scared to post anything lest you make me look foolish. lol

It's all good brother !!! No need for me to contribute, guys doing a jam up job with this one !!!

My only thing to add would be the stonger the amplifier's power supply, the less stress on the amplifier ... the more dynamic the amplifier's output = better headroom ...

This is mainly why I only run Class A/B 2 channel amplifiers ...

At the moment, I'm running 2 amplifiers on my front stage ... Soon to be 3

... and sorry for not quoting, but I really like that part about going a little overboard on electrical

You can never have too much of electrical build ... It really shows in the dynamics of your sound system when done correctly ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Headroom is the difference between the continuous power and dynamic power a amp can deliver.( which isn't the same as peak power.)

For example a amp is rated at 100w continuous power, but the dynamic power range is 200w, then it has 3dB headroom.

This is a article I've found that explains it all.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/dynamicheadroom

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

I see you lurking Cableguy.

I am scared to post anything lest you make me look foolish. lol

It's all good brother !!! No need for me to contribute, guys doing a jam up job with this one !!!

My only thing to add would be the stonger the amplifier's power supply, the less stress on the amplifier ... the more dynamic the amplifier's output = better headroom ...

This is mainly why I only run Class A/B 2 channel amplifiers ...

At the moment, I'm running 2 amplifiers on my front stage ... Soon to be 3

... and sorry for not quoting, but I really like that part about going a little overboard on electrical

You can never have too much of electrical build ... It really shows in the dynamics of your sound system when done correctly ...

i havent used any 2ch amps yet, but plan on using strictly a/b amps in the future. i am looking for long life in system and paying that little extra for 2 or 3 2ch would be worth in. i am a fan of 3way components. best sound i have had.

Headroom is the difference between the continuous power and dynamic power a amp can deliver.( which isn't the same as peak power.)

For example a amp is rated at 100w continuous power, but the dynamic power range is 200w, then it has 3dB headroom.

This is a article I've found that explains it all.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/dynamicheadroom

THANKS!

03 s-10 owned since 35k now 150k

alpine type-s 6.5 comp

alpine type-e 10 ported fiberglass

jl 300/4 (dead)

jl500/1 (dead)

Archived